June 15th, 2020 - To and from Morristown, NJ

Start end: New York, NY
Turnaround: Morristown, NJ
Miles: 71.2
Feet climbing per mile: 39
Record of today's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51538493

Yesterday I rode from home to Morristown, NJ, and back, a total of 71 miles with 2744 feet of climbing (39 feet per mile). That's my longest ride since last September 25th when I rode 80 miles with 7837 feet of climbing (98 feet per mile). I began, as I did May 28th of last year to start my 90-day journey, by riding to Brookfield Place and taking the ferry across the Hudson to Paulus Hook. After crossing the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers I then took a new route that avoided going past Newark Penn Station but took my through several miles of an industrial area. I don't think I'll use that route from Doremus Avenue to Lincoln Park (Newark) again because there is a slightly longer route that is more pleasant and with fewer turns. The rest of my route was ok, but it wasn't green with trees until more than two hours into the three and one half hour ride to Morristown. There were a few stretches with lots of trees and no houses on both sides of the road, but generally all my riding was through residential areas. I arrived in Morristown having made no rest stops.

After arriving at the Morristown Green I walked a few blocks and had a chocolate ice cream cone at the South Street Creamery. After resting for an hour I began my ride home, following almost exactly my outbound route. After riding about an hour and a half I stopped at a Dairy Queen to have a mango-pineapple smoothie and to rest for about 30 minutes.

Several times I've ridden from Paulus Hook to Newark (including yesterday), but I had never ridden from Newark to Paulus Hook. Yesterday I followed a route from Lincoln Park (Newark) to Doremus Avenue that was close to the reverse of the route I had taken in the morning. I don't think I'll use that route again because there is a slightly longer route that is more pleasant and with fewer turns. But I'm glad to know I can return from Newark without having to take the PATH train, on which bicyles are not allowed during rush hour. I made one more stop in Lincoln Park (Jersey City) after crossing the Passaic and Hackensack Rivers.

Lincoln Park (Jersey City)

I enjoyed my ride yesterday and am pleased that I was able to go 71 miles with an average speed of 11.6 miles per hour after not riding much since last September. However between home and Morristown the only interesting scenery are the views of the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers when crossing the bridges, and the view in any direction when riding the ferry across the Hudson. I've ridden to and from Morristown previously but don't recall having that perception regarding the scenery, so maybe I've been spoiled by all I saw last summer.

I'm tired today and don't feel ready for another long ride, but I know that I will soon.

Pulaski Skyway Bridge over the Hackensack River

Manhattan seen from Paulus Hook

Comments

Popular Posts