September 14th, 2020 - Garrison-Poughkeepsie-Cold Spring

Start: Garrison, NY
Turnaround: Poughkeepsie, NY
End: Cold Spring, NY
Miles: 71.8
Feet climbing per mile: 67
Record of today's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/56126356

Leaving home at 7:15, I rode to Grand Central Terminal and took the Metro North train to Garrison. My plan was to ride south to Bear Mountain Bridge and then north to Highland where I would stop for ice cream at the Frozen Caboose. I would then cross the Hudson to Poughkeepsie and ride south, catching a train home from Garrison or one of the stations between Poughkeepsie and Garrison.

My first stop was the West Point Motel, where I stayed in 2016 on my first multi-day trip after a hiatus of 40 years (see This Road I Ride). I was happy to discover that Vicky, one of the owners, was at the reception desk. She immediately remembered my name and that I had stayed with them in 2016. She even remembered that I stayed in room 125!

Next I headed to Storm King Highway (218). For a few years I've wanted to ride this road, but I did not do so because I was concerned that the curves and the lack of any shoulder would make for a dangerous ride if there were much traffic. I was pleased to find that there was almost no traffic. I presume that's because most people drive 9W between Highland Falls and Cornwall rather than 218. The lack of traffic, the perfect surface, and the amazing views made for a beautiful ride.

Looking north on Storm King Highway

Looking south from Storm King Highway

In contrast to Storm King Highway, a four-lane 1.4-mile section of 9W with a narrow shoulder and some aggressive drivers was rather unpleasant. I was happy to leave 9W and ride the peaceful side roads for the next ten miles. After about 25 miles I was feeling sluggish, and thought that I might catch the train in Poughkeepsie after riding about 40 miles.

At mile 32 I was again on 9W. Fortunately it was now two lanes, usually with a usable shoulder. I arrived at the Frozen Caboose shortly after 1:00. I expected it to open at noon, but it had not, so I went to Pomodoro Pizza Cafe on the other side of the building, where I got a Mountain Dew which I drank while seated on the patio of the Frozen Caboose until it opened at 2:00.

Frozen Caboose

I had expected the Frozen Caboose to be in an actual caboose or a building made to look like a caboose, but the only caboose was in the picture below.

Instead of my usual chocolate I chose black raspberry chip.

A quarter mile down the road I saw an actual caboose, which I suspect has something to do with the name of the Frozen Caboose.

Rail Trail Caboose

Seeing the caboose distracted me from my route, and I took the Hudson Valley Rail Trail to the Walkway over the Hudson rather than crossing the Hudson on the Mid-Hudson Bridge.

Walkway over the Hudson

Looking north from the Walkway over the Hudson

Looking south from the Walkway over the Hudson

When I arrived in Poughkeepsie after crossing the Hudson I needed to reconnect with my route, which was made difficult by many one-way streets. Once I was back on my route I was pleased to discover that I felt energized, and thought that I could ride the remaining 30 miles to Garrison rather than catching a train at one of the stations I would encounter first. I knew that the wind out of the north, into which I had ridden on the west side of the Hudson, would help me make good time heading south.

At mile 48.4 I saw a dangerous hazard on the shoulder, so of course I stopped to remove it. Shortly thereafter I stopped for a bathroom break and another Mountain Dew.

Danger on the shoulder!

I continued to maintain a good pace and feel energized, but I realized that I could just make it to Cold Spring before the next train arrived but that if I went on to Garrison I would have to wait for the next train which would come an hour later. I therefore forwent (I love using that word) riding the final four miles to Garrison.

This ride was my longest since June 15th, and my first ride of more than 40 miles since July 6th. I've ridden very little since returning home from my 4,500-mile 90-day solo trip one year ago August 25th. Where has that year gone? In need to get out regularly (every week?) for a long ride, preferably with a route much of which I've never ridden.

FYI: The distance of 71.8 miles and the 67 feet of climbing per mile reported at the top of this post includes the 2.9 miles to and from Grand Central Terminal.

Comments

Popular Posts