June 4, 2021 - Montgomery, NY, to Garrison, NY

Start: Montgomery, NY
End: Garrison, NY
Miles: 53.4
Feet climbing per mile: 78
Records of the day's rides:
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/68558165 (Montgomery to Garrison)
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/68566726 (Grand Central Terminal to home)

I don't remember what time I woke. I was on the road at 7:40. Just before five miles into my ride I saw a lone swan on Brown's Pond.

After leaving the swan I saw that I was to turn left onto Sarah Wells Trail. I wondered what sort of trail it was and whether I would need to reroute. I was pleased to discover that Sarah Wells Trail is actually a road, not a trail. I think I might have seen that when I created my route.

My plan was to ride about 50 miles to Garrison where I would catch a train to Manhattan, but I had considered adding 20 miles to my day by riding instead to Washington Heights where I would catch a subway home. Early in the day I decided I would follow my plan and ride to Garrison. The weather was hot and humid and I was tired.

Nine miles into my ride the grade went above 10% so I had to walk for a fifth of a mile. I always mount my bike from the left and also walk it while on its left, but this time I walked it while on its right. It felt strange, because it was unusual, and probably also because it challenged some habitual asymmetrical use of myself. I plan to do this more often.

The roads and countryside were ideal for biking. I stopped about 15 miles into my ride to shoot the video below. I didn't think a photo would capture what I saw.

At mile 16.5 I stopped at a convenience store in Monroe and bought a Mountain Dew. I walked across the street to sit in a grassy area to enjoy my favorite biking beverage. Can you see why I drank less than half the bottle? It was disgusting.

Before leaving Monroe I stopped at the convenience store connected to a gas station to use the rest room. When I entered with my bike, one of the employees said something about not allowing bikes inside, but immediately another employee suggested where I could park my bike inside where it wouldn't be a problem. Later someone else, maybe the manager, said she saw me come in on my bike and how great it was that I was traveling that way. I bought a few small packages of cheddar cheese and was on my way. Eight and one half miles later I entered Harriman State Park.

I've ridden through Harriman a few times. The road and scenery were as beautiful as always.

Kanawaukee Road

Along Kanawaukee Road I saw a few ponds that appeared to have been created by small dams. I wonder whether beavers were involved. Inside of Harriman is Beaver Pond Campground, so beavers might have something to do with the dams. I spent a few nights in Beaver Pond Campground testing equipment before my 4,500-mile trip in 2019, and another night after that big trip. The only blog post about my stay there is Test ride with all my gear.

Starting at mile 33.7 and continuing for eleven miles, my route corresponded to that of the Gran Fondo New York 100-mile race in which I participated in 2018 (the record of my race is here). Except this time I was traveling in the reverse direction, so very little of it seemed familiar. I had a big surprise when I entered Route 9W after leaving Mott Farm Road. I've ridden Mott Farm Road a few times, but always in the other direction which involved a very steep although short climb. I've ridden 9W many times, so when I arrived there it felt like coming home.

The descent to 9W

I was surprised at how rough 9W was for the first 1.8 miles. I think it was in much better condition when I rode the second half of the Gran Fondo route last September. In order to avoid some climbing on Jones Point, I left 9W and took River Road and then the Jones Point Path for 2.4 miles. I usually don't like bike paths but I had ridden this one last November 10th so I knew that it was paved as well as a road, involved some climbing, and that the scenery along the Hudson was beautiful.

Jones Point Path

Of course I moved the hazard from the path.

I don't know whether the hill of rock I saw at mile 44 has a name but I thought it looked impressive. 

After Jones Point Path I continued on Route 9W. I considered stopping at Hessian Lake to put my feet in the water as I had done a few times before but decided to keep going. Route 9D was pretty rough for the first half of the ride from Bear Mountain Bridge to the train station in Garrison, with the surface patched rather poorly. Since there was moderate traffic but usually no usable shoulder, this made for some challenging riding. 

I don't know to whose door the Long & Winding Road goes, but it's gravel, private, and only 0.8 miles long. I came upon it at mile 49.

I arrived at the Garrison train station at 1:30 and waited about an hour for the train to Grand Central Terminal.

West Point as seen from the Garrison train station

There had been no rain during the four days of my trip except on the second day when there was light rain for a short time, but when I exited from Grand Central Station there was a downpour. After riding two miles I arrived at home just after 4:00. I discovered that my cleat covers were missing as I was about to put them on my cleats before entering my building. I know I was wearing the cleat covers while on the train, so either they fell off as I was walking in Grand Central from the platform to the street, or they fell out of the Velcro pocket on my trunk bag as I was riding in the rain.

During the four days of this trip I rode a total of 227.4 miles (56.5 miles per day) and climbed an average of 80 feet per mile.

Starting last October, I've taken a multi-day trip every month except February. I almost took one in February but on the days that were warm enough I was recovering from my second COVID vaccination. With the exception of the trip I just completed, all the trips lasted three days, I spent both nights in a motel, and on the middle day I did a loop ride. Besides being one day longer, this trip was different in that I spent each of the nights in a different location, and two of the three nights I stayed with friends.

My post about the previous day: June 3, 2021 - Pine Hill, NY, to Montgomery, NY

Comments

Popular Posts