Gear Update - April 7, 2022

In this post I describe the changes to my gear since Gear Update - January 26, 2022. This post deals exclusively with my building a new set of wheels I'll use for touring.

Last September I bought a pair of NOS Shimano Dura Ace FH-7400 hubs to build my second pair of wheels. The rims are Mavic Open Proc C, the same as I used in my previous wheels. The spokes are PSR Triple Butted, with 2.2 mm elbows, 2.0 mm on the ends, 1.5 mm in the middle for the front and the rear non-drive side, and 1.7 mm in the middle for the rear drive side). The spokes on my first set of wheels are double-butted, 2.0 mm on the ends and elbows and 1.8 mm in the middle. Because of the thicker elbows on the triple-butted spokes, I think the new wheels will be stronger than the first set so I will use the new pair of wheels for touring and the previous pair for non-touring. I bought the spokes and nipples for both sets of wheels from Lee Kilpatrick.


Rims, spokes, nipples, and hubs

The service instructions I found online for the FH-7400 freehub include the following:

The 1.6 mm key washer was on the left side, so I moved it to the right side because I will use a seven-speed cassette.

In the paper service instructions that came with the NOS FH-7400 hubs I read the following:

The picture below shows one of the two holes in the freehub body (called "freewheel body in the directions).

I was able to inject Phil Tenacious Oil into the hole using a syringe and the largest needle that would fit in the hole from a kit of syringes and needles.

The picture below shows one of the two holes in the dust cap that opens when the dust cap is rotated so the triangle in front of OPEN points to the tick mark. The hole is to the left of CLOSE.

Using my grease gun I was able to insert grease through the holes.

After moving the washer on the rear axle, lubricating the freehub body, and greasing the bearings, I followed the videos How To Build A Bicycle Wheel and How to Use the Park Tool TM-1 Tension Meter & Wheel Tension App to build my second pair of wheels.

The Mavic Open Proc C rims have a desired tension of 90 to 110 KGF for each spoke. My target tension was 100 KGF. Here are the results from the Wheel Tension App for the front wheel. Although there are three spokes outside the 5% limit, all the spokes are within the 10% limit and all are within the range of 90 to 110 KGF.

Because the TM-1 app does not allow for specifying different spoke diameters for the two sides of a wheel, and because I used different spoke diameters on the two sides of my rear wheel, the results from the app for the right and left sides of the rear wheel are displayed separately.

Here are the results from the TM-1 app for the right side of the rear wheel. All the spokes are within the 5% limit.

Here are the results from the TM-1 app for the left side of the rear wheel. Twelve of the spokes are outside the 5% limit, but all spokes are within the 10% limit.

Here are the finished wheels. Aren't they beautiful!

Now that I've built a pair of wheels for touring I need to take a multi-day trip. I haven't done that since November of last year, which is now almost five months ago! For my next such trip, which I plan to do in April, I'll take the Metro North train from Grand Central to Garrison and then ride 71 miles north to Hudson where I'll spend two nights in a hotel. On the second day I'll ride to Albany and back, a total of 69 miles. On the third day I'll ride 81 miles back to Garrison by a route different from the first day and then catch a train to Grand Central. Here's a link to a page with the routes I plan to follow: https://ridewithgps.com/events/167574-hudson-ny

Comments

Popular Posts