April 13, 2023 - Torrington, CT, to Riverton, CT, and return

Start and end: Torrington, CT
Turnaround: Riverton, CT
Miles: 36.6
Feet climbing per mile: 74
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/117855814

I had some cramps in my calves and feet throughout the night but they weren't too bad.

I had originally planned to ride 53 miles the second day of this trip (the route is here), but I was quite tired from the climbing and heat of the previous day and it was again going to be hot so I decided to shorten the day's ride to 37 miles. I planned to have lunch in Riverton, 23 miles from my hotel, and then return more directly than my original route would have taken me.

I had to walk a steep short hill almost immediately after leaving my hotel. I would have to walk two more times this day, at mile 7.3 and 9.3.

At mile 3.3 I stopped to pick up a bungee cord left on the road. Both of its ends were damaged, so I put it in the trash when I returned to my hotel.

At mile 6.5 I stopped to say "hello" to a horse. He was quite shy, initially moving away from me as I approached his fence. Eventually he came a little closer.

I wonder what sort of fish the three fisherman were catching in the Farmington River near New Hartford.

Here's a view of the Farmington River looking the other way. You might be able to see a lone fisherman in the distance.

The ride for this day would take me on roads with usually little traffic and lots of green.

Reservoir Road in New Hartford

There would be plenty of climbing this day so I forwent the steep descent to the Storehouse Brook. As I wrote in Aphorisms and ExhortationsWho goes down must come up.

I usually find the structures at reservoirs to be beautiful. The one near the Saville Dam on the Barkhamsted Reservoir was no exception.

I've seen many signs that say NO ENGINE BRAKING, but this was the first time I've seen a sign that said DO NOT COAST.

To paraphrase what Leslie Gore sang (and what Seymour Gottlieb wrote):

It's my bike ride and I'll coast if I want to
Coast if I want to
Coast if I want to
You would coast too, if it happened to you

For anyone who doesn't get my reference:

East River Road along the Farmington River was flat and beautiful.

The Royal Coachman Tavern in the Old Riverton Inn was closed, so I had lunch at the Riverton General Store.

The Riverton General Store gets a lot of cyclists and doesn't want them to ruin their floor. My cleat covers allowed me to enter without removing my shoes.

I don't usually have lunch in the middle of a riding day, but I made an exception because I wanted to have a lazy day. The chili was especially good.

The park in Riverton has an interesting toilet.

Contrary to what the sign says, I thought there was some water in the toilet. And by the way, water is a chemical.

I found the village of Riverton quite charming, much more so than Torrington where I was spending two nights.

I usually don't like riding bike trails, even when paved as well as the Still River Greenway, but I was glad to have a respite from the traffic on Torrington Road and Winsted Road for three miles.

North entrance to Still River Greenway

I stopped at the Rusty General Store to enjoy a ginger ale. Unfortunately afterwards I felt more thirsty.


I had gotten sunburned this day and also the day before. About two miles before arriving at my hotel I stopped at a Dollar General to buy sunscreen I should have been wearing starting the previous day.

I saw Vinny's Restaurant & Pizza about half a mile before I arrived at my hotel. I stopped to check it out and was told they had been about half full the night before. When I went out to eat I saw that La Cucina was again empty, so I walked a little farther to Vinny's. When I arrived only one booth was occupied, and the food was mediocre just as it had been the night before at the Twin Colony Diner. The walls were not actual brick some sort of vinyl made to look like brick. I swapped the paper napkin I was given for the cloth napkin in which the bread arrived.

Previous day: April 12, 2023 - Redding, CT, to Torrington, CT
Next day: April 14th, 2023 - Torrington, CT, to Redding, CT 

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

  1. I am enjoying your ride, especially the video of the smallnpond with the little cascade. So interesting, John. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, I've never been in that part of the country. Enjoy visiting with your sister every now and then. Miss your Mom. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...some cramps in my calves and feet...": more than likely caused by a magnesium deficiency. Magnesium *in combination* with Calcium works wonders under the following conditions:
    1) 2:1 ratio - Calcium:Magnesium;
    2) Calcium *Citrate* taken in morning with food; Magnesium *Citrate* taken night [citrate versions of minerals are better absorbed than other forms]
    3) try sleeping with socks and long pants to keep your feet and leg muscles warm. Footed tights will also work. Your cold muscles are contracting after a long day of exercise which causes cramps.
    4) Drink more water and less sugary soft drinks. Figure at least 1 cup of water/mile of biking minimum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you get the idea of at least one cup of water every mile of biking? Each of my water bottles holds about two cups, so if I were to follow your advice I would need to refill my water bottles every four miles.

      Delete
    2. It's a good rule of thumb for strenuous exercise. However age and gender play important roles as well.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4993146/

      https://www.fit19.com/blog/how-much-water-to-drink-before-during-and-after-working-out

      https://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/Mhealthy/TheImportanceofWaterWhileExercising.pdf

      https://www.verywellfit.com/how-much-water-should-you-drink-3120428

      I learned the hard way about the importance of proper hydration. Waiting until you feel thirsty while exercising is waiting TOO late.

      Delete
    3. Do *you* drink one cup of water for every mile of *biking*?

      Delete
    4. Yes. I've never done the mileage you have nor am I as speedy, but here's an example: the Central Park loop is 6 miles. I'd drink 1 pint (2 cups) at the Engineers Gate/Columbus Circle entrance, another pint @ the 110th Street hill (roughly 3.5 miles) and another pint when I got back to the Engineers Gate (roughly 2.5 miles). It's the same hydration I use when running.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts