October 16, 2023 - Newark, NJ, to Hackettstown, NJ

Start: Newark, NJ
End: Hackettstown, NJ
Miles: 45.6
Feet climbing per mile: 78
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/137465415

I had originally considered starting this trip one day later so that it would extend from Tuesday through Friday, but when I saw that rain was forecast for Friday but not earlier in the week I decided to depart on Monday. On Monday there were a few short surprise episodes of light rain, but nothing serious.

I left home at 9:45 to catch the 10:01 New Jersey Transit train at Penn Station New York that would arrive in Newark, NJ, at 10:20. Based on the weather forecast the night before I thought that I would need to wear tights, but I chose to wear shorts even though the temperature when I left home was only 52. I was clearly violating the Larry Wallach Rule:

Cover your knees below 60 degrees

I asked a conductor whether I would have been allowed to bring my bike on the train if the train were to depart before 10:00, the earliest time according to the rules. He told me I would be, and that if the train were crowded I would be able to put my bike in the vestibule.

When I left the station in Newark the temperature was 55. As I started riding I thought that my engine, like computers and medical equipment, runs best in a cool environment. The route I would follow was based on the default route given by RideWithGPS from the train station in Newark to my hotel in Hackettstown. This route was different from my usual route, both between Newark and Morristown and Morristown and Hackettstown. It would turn out to have both advantages and disadvantages compared to my usual route.

Shortly after starting to ride I saw a building at 176 Clinton Avenue that has caught my attention on previous rides.

Below is the picture I took three years ago.

When I saw the building this time I thought that maybe some work had been done, but now that I compare the pictures I'm not sure about that. What changes can you see?

My new route included many beautiful roads on the way to Morristown.

North Passaic Avenue at mile 14.0

In order to stop at the Starbucks in Morristown I needed to deviate from my new route. The detour was awkward so it would have been easier if I had created the route to enter Morristown my usual way.

After I enjoyed my usual hot chocolate and brownie I walked across the street where I forwent putting my feet in the fountain. The temperature had risen to 62.

My new route included some beautiful roads west of Morristown.

Sussex Avenue at mile 25.4

It was unfortunate that I allowed Sussex Turnpike with its narrow shoulder and heavy traffic to be included in the new route. I had ridden Sussex Turnpike previously so should have known to avoid it. But eventually I was back on beautiful country roads.

Combs Avenue at mile 30.7

Before departing on this ride I was looking forward to the difficult climb on Schoolys Mountain Road. I had previously been up that road four times, walking it the first time in July of 2016 and the last in June of 2023, but riding it in May of 2017 and March of 2021. Would I succeed this time? For the five miles before the climb I kept an easy pace and drank plenty of water. I made it through the first turn but at the very steep second turn I could not continue. However after walking through and slightly past that turn I realized that the grade was no longer so steep, so I resumed riding, which was challenging not only because of the grade but also because of the narrow shoulder and the steady traffic in both directions. Nevertheless I managed to get going and I completed the climb. Next time I climb Schoolys Mountain Road I will go into that steep turn knowing that the road will not be as steep after the turn. Maybe that will help me do the climb without any walking.

The Schoolys Mountain Road climb

After the climb was a descent of two and one half miles during which my top speed was 32 miles per hour. The road continued to have a narrow shoulder, which at the speed I was going was not useable. I therefore rode in the middle of the lane, preventing the cars behind me from passing due to the oncoming traffic. I was glad that I was sufficiently alert to be able to take the lane safely.

I arrived at the Quality Inn Hackettstown shortly before 4:00, well in advance of sunset. I had stayed in that hotel earlier in the year (June 5, 2023 - Convent Station, NJ, to Hackettstown, NJ) and enjoyed returning to somewhere familiar. I regretted that my room had a king bed rather than two queens, the latter allowing me to sleep in one bed and lay out clothes on the other. In the future I will always ask for two queens.

After a shower, shave, and change of clothes I walked across the street to the Taphouse Grille where I had eaten on my trip in June. My hamburger, sweet potato fries, and Brussels sprouts were all delicious. I would have ordered a dessert but I was already full.

I paid the check in cash and when my waitress brought me my change I noticed that it was only bills, missing 36 cents. When I asked her whether she realized the change was short she said that in New Jersey restaurants don't have coins and so round the change.

As I was about to leave I noticed that my house key was missing from its usual place in my wallet. Fortunately a man at the next table noticed I was looking for my key and told me he saw something (my key) below my table. I need to devise a more secure way of carrying my house key in my wallet.

Before going to sleep I watched some television, including an early episode of Law & Order that somehow I had never seen.

Next day: October 17, 2023 - Hackettstown, NJ, to Tannersville, PA

Subscribe to this blog

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Comments

Popular Posts