Planning Cross Country 2024

In Reflections at the end of 2023 I wrote about starting to plan a cross-country trip that would begin by riding through the Avenue of the Giants in California and then continue south and east. I wanted to visit friends in both Las Cruces, near the southern border of New Mexico, and Aztec, near the northern border. After creating my routes through California I realized that this plan is unfeasible because it would require riding long distances across the dessert in hot weather, with little availability of water. For example, the final day in California would involve riding 92 miles with no water along the way. I'm crazy, but I'm not that crazy!

I’m now planning to fly to Portland, Oregon, and then ride to Astoria, from where I will ride the route for the Trans Am Bike Race until Carbondale, Illinois. (See Inspired to Ride in How I decided to ride 4000 miles next summer to learn the personal significance of the Trans Am Bike Race.) Three years ago I did a lot of research along the Trans Am Bike Race route and found many places that had both food and either a motel or a campground. These places to spend the night are separated by distances I can ride in one day. After leaving the Trans Am Bike Race route in Carbondale, I’ll ride to the south end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, ride the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, and then ride to Washington, D.C., from where I will either ride four more days or catch a train to New York. If I ride all the way to New York the trip will be about 4700 miles. If I take the train to New York the total will be about 4400.

The map below shows my draft route for the trip I’m now planning. Instead of heat through the desert in California, Arizona, and New Mexico, I'll have to deal with cold through Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Because of the cold in those states I will plan to stay in motels rather than campgrounds. I will also carry warmer clothing that I otherwise would. I will probably delay my departure until at least mid-June, both so I can attend the wedding of a nephew and for the temperatures to be not so cold.

You can find all my routes for this trip here: Cross-Country 2024

Subscribe to this blog

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Comments

  1. Hey, John - Mark Donnell here. This certainly sounds like a monumental adventure you have planned. I am so excited for you. Looking forward to following all of your travels! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to see John Noelle when you hit Virginia . Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that you, John, reminding me to visit you? I look forward to doing so.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts