April 9, 2024 - Honesdale, PA, to Milford, PA

Start: Honesdale, PA
End: Milford, PA
Miles: 47.7
Feet climbing per mile: 75
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/162628594

My destination for this day was Milford, Pennsylvania, not far from Port Jervis. I would have set Port Jervis as my destination except that there was no train scheduled to depart for Penn Station at a time that would have been convenient. My plan was to ride to Port Jervis the next day. In December of 2020 (December 11-13, 2020 - Milford, PA) I spent two nights in Milford at the Myer Country Motel and was looking forward to returning.

Just before departing I realized that my heel pads were worn on their outside edges (due to all the walking up hills I had been doing), so I swapped them between my shoes because the inside edges had plenty of rubber. I usually carry one spare pair of heel pads, but for my cross-country trip this summer I'll carry a few pairs.

I was on the road at 10:15 and it was already warm and sunny. At mile 7.8 I turned onto beautiful Columbus Avenue.

Columbus Avenue

At mile 9.0 I crossed Middle Creek.

Middle Creek

At mile 10.4 my attention was drawn to the Hawley Garage.

Unfortunately I didn't see a nasty gap in the pavement until the last moment, and almost hit it hard. I had a similar incident on the first day of the trip when I did hit a gap in the pavement, causing my wheels to go a little out of true. As a result the braking, especially on the rear wheel, was no longer so smooth.

Both of these incidents exemplify the following entry in Aphorisms and Exhortations:

To be safe, don't think, pay attention!

Near the Hawley Garage

At mile 20.8 I came upon The Rowland Cooperative and hoped to get some sort of snack, but unfortunately it was closed.

After leaving The Rowland Cooperative I was along the beautiful Lackawaxen River for 3.5 miles. There was no shoulder but also almost no traffic.

As I crossed the Lackawaxen River at mile 24.4, I saw the railroad bridge in the picture below.

Less than a quarter mile later, while on Scenic Drive, I rode under that same bridge.

Scenic Drive, along the Delaware River, was truly scenic. On that drive I saw the Zane Grey Museum.

I would have gone into the museum but it was closed.

Zane Grey Museum

After leaving the museum I crossed the Delaware River from Pennsylvania into New York on the Roebling Bridge.



After I crossed the Delaware River I turned onto Route 97 which ran along the river. There was an excellent shoulder and almost no traffic. At mile 29.7, in Barryville, I turned off of Route 97 in order to avoid a section of that road that had no shoulder and dangerous traffic, at least near Hawk's Nest, where I had ridden previously (July 21, 2021 - Monticello, NY, to Port Jervis, NY, and Return). If it weren't for that dangerous section of road I could have continued on Route 97 to Port Jervis and spent the night in a hotel.

At mile 29.9 I crossed the Delaware River from New York back into Pennsylvania.

Looking west up the Delaware River

At mile 30.5 I stopped at a convenience store to enjoy a Mountain Dew. In my post for the first day of this trip I wrote that I carried home the Mountain Dew bottle I bought that day, but in fact I discarded that bottle and instead brought home the bottle I got on this, the third, day of this trip.

At mile 42.2 I would have removed my shoes and socks and put my feet in the water but I could find a good way to get to the edge of the pond. If you watch the video carefully you'll see a deer on the other side of the pond. I did not notice the deer when I was there.

I arrived at the Myer Country Motel just before 4:30, three hours before sunset. Mika, the woman who checked me in, told me that Sharon, who had lent me a charger when I stayed there in 2020 (December 11-13, 2020 - Milford, PA), had retired. Mika said that she and her husband bought the motel in 2021.

I chose a king room because it cost only $10 more than a queen and was much more spacious. I stayed in the right side of the duplex shown in the picture below.

After a shower, shave, and change of clothes I walked a half mile to the Milford Diner, where I had eaten one of the two nights I stayed in Mildford in 2020. I ordered the spareribs which were outstanding! I decided I would learn to make spareribs. Also outstanding was the service from my server, Annie. Unlike some servers who seem to be attempting to entertain their customers, Annie's attitude was perfectly expressed by her statement "That's all I care about" when I told her I was very happy with what I had ordered.

By the time I left the diner it was completely dark.

As I reflected on the day I remembered that one driver had gently tooted his horn from a substantial distance in order to inform me of his presence. I immediately waved to acknowledge his gesture. I also remembered that on a section of road with no shoulder, the driver of a big truck patiently drove slowly behind me until it was safe to pass, all the while holding up traffic behind him. I think one of the drivers to his rear honked in frustration. In order to express my gratitude to the driver of the truck, I gave him a thumbs-up as he passed me.

Several times this day I had to walk up steep hills, but I know that walking up steep hills makes me stronger.

Previous day: April 8, 2024 - Honesdale, PA, loop
Next day: April 10, 2024 - Milford, PA, to Hackettstown, NJ

Subscribe to this blog

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Comments

  1. Thank you, John, for your detailed account and congratulations on what seems like a satisfying ride to and around the Delaware! I've been in that area a number of times, along Rt. 97, and have visited Honesdale, PA--a hip little town. Much good luck, stay safe along the way, and watch out for those potholes! All the best from your fans, Audrey + Serafino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great trip. thanks for all the photos. Pam and I have a friend who was a photographer rem in NYC Bruce Levin. He had a cabin in Hawley not far from Lake Wallenpaupack PA.He was the mayor there for 2 years. (I think a weekend mayor Hah!).
    best
    Tim Barrall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful ride. The deer was careful not to call attention to herself. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts