June 3, 2024 - Gunks Loop

Start: Gunks Campground
Turnaround: Pine Bush, NY
End: Gunks Campground
Miles: 24.1
Feet climbing per mile: 78
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/186091811

I was staying at the Shawangunk Gateway Campground. The tent pad consisted of a perfectly flat and level surface of small aggregate in which it was easy to drive stakes. This was the best surface on which I’ve ever pitched a tent.

The path to and from my campsite was challenging. I could have gotten a drive-in site, but then I wouldn't have had a bear box in which to store anything with scent.

I was exhausted from the previous day so I decided not to ride the 46-mile loop I had planned. Instead I would ride just 12 miles each way to and from Hometown Ice Cream in Pine Bush. I had stopped there on a previous trip so while I was waiting to be served I checked my blog and discovered that I had been there exactly three years ago to the day.

The alien at Hometown Ice Cream is the only one one I saw in Pine Bush. I was not abducted.

Mountain Brauhaus is closed on Mondays and Tuesday, so this being a Monday I had planned to ride to New Paltz for dinner, which would be a round trip of slightly more than 12 miles. But as I neared the campground on my return I noticed Mtn Mkt across from Mountain Brauhaus. I went inside and in the refrigerator saw a container of baked ziti and another of sausage and peppers. I asked Matt, who worked there, if I could buy those items now and have him hold them for me until I returned at 6:00. Matt agreed, so I bought the items and sat down to enjoy a Mountain Dew and some crackers with peanut butter.

After a shower, shave and change of clothes I returned to Mtn Mkt at about 6:30 to have dinner. I brought with me a plate I borrowed from the pavilion at the campground and heated my two dishes in the microwave.

Mtn Mkt closed at 7:00 so I enjoyed dessert on a picnic table out front.

After dinner I ran my clothesline from the saddle of my bike to my tent because tying lines to trees is not allowed.

Previous day: June 2, 2024 - Peekskill, NY, to the Gunks
Next day: June 4, 2024 - The Gunks to Peekskill, NY

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts