Interview Published in The Fairfield Ledger

When I visited Fairfield, IA, on July 17th and 18th, I was interviewed by Andy Hallman of The Fairfield Ledger. The interview lasted 90 minutes and was the basis for the article published here.


It was Ginger Belilove, my sister-in-law, who arranged the interview. She and her husband Jim Belilove were visiting Lori Belilove, my wife and Jim's sister, at our home in New York while I was staying in their home in Fairfield. Thank you, Ginger, for arranging the interview, and thank you, Andy, for taking the time to interview me.

Here are two clarifications in response to the article:

My rest days are all fairly active and I do not find myself sluggish after them. However, any interruption of my activity in the middle of a ride, whether it be for a minute to check the route on my phone after making a wrong turn, resting ten minutes in the middle of a long climb, or not turning the cranks on a long descent, leaves me feeling sluggish. So now I keep stops to check directions as short as possible, I walk my bike rather than stand around to rest during long climbs, and I continue pedaling on descents even if it doesn’t increase my speed. In these ways I recover during the rest. My high school football coaches had the right idea when they yelled “Walk it off!” after a hard workout. 

There are no spikes on cycling shoes. The difference between road bike shoes and mountain bike shoes is that the cleats for the latter are recessed and it’s easier to walk in them.

Comments

Popular Posts