Planning: Gear (Update IV)

I had been planning to publish an earlier version of this post before I departed on May 28th, but never did because I was so busy getting ready for my journey. In this post I explain the changes I made since I published Planning: Gear (Update III), including changes I made while on the road. Many of the changes to my gear were made immediately after the two-day test ride I took on May 20th. The changes I made after that trip and before I left on May 28th reduced the loaded weight of my three bags from 20 to 18 pounds.

See Complete List of My Gear (2019) for a complete list of my gear organized by type, including links to the specific items I own. See also How I Pack My Gear (2019).

I plan to write a blog post in which I review many of the pieces of gear I took on my trip. Watch for it!

1. Bike and Accessories

I rode the wheels I built with new-old-stock Shimano Dura Ace FH-7400 hubs I found on eBay, Mavic Open Pro rims, and spokes and nipples I bought from Lee Kilpatrick. The cogs are Shimano Dura Ace Uniglide with 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 23, and 28 teeth. They were all new-old-stock except for the 12-tooth cog. Thanks to Tom Reingold for encouraging to build the wheels myself and for guidance through the process. What a pleasure it is to build wheels, and to ride wheels I have built myself!

NOS Shimano Dura Ace FH-7400 hubs

I installed the pair of Shimano Dura Ace BR-7403 brakes that came with the Shimano Dura Ace BL-7402 levers I bought because my left brake lever was damaged in the crash I had on March 25th. The BR-7403 brakes provide significantly more braking power than the BR-7400 brakes.

I replaced the Topeak front and rear lights I had been planning to take with much brighter Cygolite front and rear lights.



I replaced the Lezyne Digital Pressure Drive pump with a Lezyne Digital Road Drive pump so that I could easily inflate my tires to the desired pressures of 95 psi and 100 psi.


I installed a rear-view mirror on each of my handlebar ends.

2. Clothing

Tom Reingold and Nelson Diaz independently advised me to take mountain-bike shoes rather than road-bike shoes, but I ignored their advice and decided to take the SIDI Genius 5 shoes I've worn since November of 2010. Then, after beating up my cleats and heel pads while walking in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I ordered a pair of SIDI mountain-bike shoes (Trace) that turned out to be a half size too large. I exchanged those shoes for a pair of SIDI mountain-bike shoes (Drako) that fit and used them for the rest of my journey.

SIDI Drako

I left my swimsuit at home (along with my swim cap) and used my black lycra underwear in its place. I took a very light pair of swim goggles that was recommended by Harold Rosenthal.

3. Personal items

I left the cases for my sunglasses and clear goggles at home. I took one bag for the sunglasses and another for the clear goggles. Both bags could be used for cleaning the lenses. I took a similar bag for my reading glasses and left the case at home.

I took a lighter and smaller microfiber towel than I had been planning to take. I didn't take any shampoo but instead used Dawn dishwashing liquid for all my bathing.

4. Electronics

I took a 3-foot Apple USB-to-Lightning cable to charge my cellphone. When the 3-foot cable showed signs of deterioration I replaced it with a 1-foot cable.

I took a Bluetooth keyboard with slightly smaller than normal keys but replaced it with a full-size keyboard because I was unable to get used to the smaller keys.

I took a Boomerang CycloTrac bike tracker.

5. Tools, Parts, and Supplies

I added a chainring nut wrench to my tool kit when I needed to replace a chainring bolt.


I added a valve core tool to my tool  kit after having trouble with valve cores coming loose.


I replaced the stainless steel cutlery set I had planned to take with a lighter plastic cutlery set.

6. Camping gear

No changes.

7. Bags

No changes.
* * *

See Complete List of My Gear (2019) for a complete list of my gear organized by type, including links to the specific items I own. See also How I Pack My Gear (2019).

Comments

Popular Posts