First anniversary of the start of my 4,500-mile 90-day solo trip

Today is the first anniversary of the start of the 4,500-mile 90-day solo trip I took last year. I've thought about that trip every day since I returned home nine months ago and am able to recall many details of the trip. I find that my memory is fragmented in the sense that I can often recall several events from a single day (for example, where I stayed the night before, something that happened during the ride, and where I stayed that night) but don't remember that they all happened the same day unless I read my blog post for the day.

The routes that I followed (more or less)

I think it's taken me most of the nine months I've been home to acclimate to being home. I've ridden often since returning home but most of my trips have been very short. I've taken only one multi-day trip (two days) and look forward to my next such trip, even if it won't be anywhere close to the scale of the trip I took last summer. In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic I'm hesitant to take a multi-day trip.

I'm now 15 pounds heavier than when I departed on my trip and 18 pounds heavier than when I arrived home. To put that in perspective, my three loaded bags weighed 18 pounds. I look forward to becoming leaner again.

In case you haven't already seen it, please read Gratitude, in which I thanked the many people who contributed to my trip.

When I announced my trip in my first blog post, I said that I would visit my six siblings, my mother, several cousins, several in-laws, and friends from grade school, high school, college, graduate school, and later in life. I also visited several nephews and nieces, as well as people I knew only through Facebook biking groups. And I stayed with a couple that I met in a bike shop after my Airbnb reservation for the night fell through.

Below are lists of the people I visited. Names in parentheses refer to spouses.

Siblings

Charles Link
Peggy Link
Tim (and Sonja) Link
Cathy Link
Mike (and Alice) Link
Greg Link

Mother

Bernice Link

Cousins

Bill (and Sue) Becker
Bill (and Mary Lou) Stauber

Nephews and nieces

Jonathan Link
Christopher Link
Kelly Mieszala

In-laws

Jim and Ginger Belilove (although they were not home)
Larry and Carole Krucoff
Rachel Krucoff and Ira Abramson

Grade school

Dave (and Connie) Nadolski
Mike Macewich
Bill (and Susan) Collins
Dennis (and Chris) Sarley
Mary (and Bob) Cullen
Roxanne Laux
Mike (and Roxanne) Guadagno
John Steigerwald
Kevin Creely

High school

John (and Lisa) Noelle
Wence (and Debbie) Czernecki

College

Peggy (and Tom) Stenborg
Rick Jennings

Graduate school

David Nebhut
Chris Barker
Bob Pitman
Lanny (and Leslie) Arvan

Later in life

Mike Hesser
Chris and Lynn Brooks
Michael and Gina Pack
Seth Dellinger
Jim Gray
Bill Harris and Stella Liong
Richard and Beth Wright
Yossi and Patti Daboosh
Craig and Barbara Burley
Rick Harris
Michael Dutka
Beth Corning and Marc Niesen
Andrea Caccuro

Facebook biking groups

Morene Bangel
Todd (and Suzanne) Meerdink
Dennis (and Bonnie) Anderson
Bill Head

After Airbnb reservation fell through

Bill Lyons and Suzy Fay

Comments

Popular Posts