March 11, 2021 - Easton, PA, to Stockton, NJ, and return

Start and end: Easton, PA
Turnaround: Stockton, NJ
Miles: 59.9
Feet climbing per mile: 61
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/63722086

I slept in and didn't start riding until 11:00. Sunset would be just after 6:00, so I knew I had plenty of time for my 60-mile ride despite my late start. The temperature was already 55, warm enough for shorts despite Larry Wallach's Rule.

Half an hour into my ride I started a steep climb after I crossed the Musconetong River. I hadn't carefully studied my route's profile so I didn't know how long it would be. As I was riding the smooth surface of the wide shoulder I thought of my aphorism "Who goes up gets to come down!". That climb lasted a mile, followed by unpleasant climbing and descending on chipseal, the roughness of which creates lots of vibration and rolling resistance. Whoever thought that stuff was appropriate for roads ought to be required to ride a bike with narrow tires on it every day. 

At Milford, 13 miles into my ride, I crossed the Delaware River from New Jersey back into Pennsylvania. My plan was to first ride south along the Pennsylvania side of the river and to return on the New Jersey side. Just before crossing back into New Jersey I would stop for a snack at Dilly's at Center Bridge. I had planned to stop at Dilly's on the first day of my 4,500-mile trip in 2019, but it was closed for Memorial Day. 

Looking northwest up the Delaware River

I had been warned that River Road (PA-32), which I planned to ride 17 miles before crossing the Delaware River into New Jersey, had no shoulder. If the traffic were too heavy, the Delaware Canal Trail and Towpath, which runs parallel to River Road, was a possible alternative. I was pleased that the traffic on River Road was light and all the drivers approaching me from behind made safe passes as I rode in the lane, not on the white line.

I saw many homes close to the Delaware River on the Pennsylvania side. I was surprised to see several bridges or other crossings, none of which I had noticed when planning my route.

Crossing to Pennington Island

Footbridge to Pennington Island owned by New Life Island

According to their website, New Life Island owns Pennington Island and runs youth camps on the island. 

At one point River Road crossed over the Delaware Canal Towpath. I was glad to be able to ride River Road rather than the towpath.

Looking north up the Delaware Canal and the Delaware Canal Towpath

Apparently River Road had once been completely under water.

I had become accustomed to seeing snow on the ground despite the warm weather, but the icicles I encountered were quite a surprise.

At mile 26 I saw white water in the river suggesting the presence of some sort of dam.

The image below, taken from a satellite, shows the view from above.

I encountered one more footbridge before arriving at Dilly's, this one at Lumberville.

Lumberville-Raven Rock Bridge

Three hours into my ride I arrived at Dilly's at Center Bridge. I saw a few people working outside of the building. A woman, one of the owners, who was painting said that they wouldn't open until the next day. Ha! When I asked her if she'd like to hear a funny story, she replied, "If you want to tell me". I recounted how I had planned to stop at Dilly's for chocolate ice cream on the first day of my 4,500-mile trip in 2019 and found it closed because of Memorial Day. She told me she'd be right back as she went inside. When she returned she handed me a cup of chocolate ice cream and said, "Now you do something nice for someone". I said that I would, and thanked her for the treat. She told me her name was "Anya".

As I was walking my bike across the bridge to Stockton I saw two barges that I had seen the first day of my 4,500-mile trip in 2019. I did my best to take a picture from the same location I used in 2019.

March 11, 2021

May 28, 2019

NJ-29 had a beautiful surface and a generous shoulder but was not as close to the river as River Road had been, so after three and a half miles turned off the road to take a look at the Delaware and Raritan State Park Trail which runs parallel to NJ-29 all the way north just beyond Frenchtown. I immediately realized why I saw lots of road cyclists on NJ-29 and not on the trail.

Thirty minutes after leaving Dilly's I was able satisfy Anya's request that I do something nice for someone by removing a boulder from the road.

In Frenchtown, where I stopped for a break, a woman told me that the trail was well packed and ran north for two miles, at which point it would connect with NJ-29. For a break from the monotony of NJ-29, I decided to take the trail. I quickly realized it was a wonderful place for a walk but not for the sort of riding I like to do. I got off the trail after three quarters of a mile.

Looking north up the Delaware and Raritan State Park Trail in Frenchtown

When I arrived again in Milford I had completed my loop down and up the Delaware River. Although I found the east side of the river less interesting than the west side, for the sake of variety I was glad that I had followed the route I did. Besides, if I hadn't, perhaps someone would have been killed by hitting that boulder. Before starting the final 13 miles of my ride I stopped to enjoy my favorite biking beverage.

At mile 49 I encountered the two miles of chipseal on which I had ridden in the morning, this time mostly climbing. The climb was less steep than I had expected, but the chipseal added to the challenge. Except for one mile, my planned route from Milford to Easton was the exact reverse of my route from Easton to Milford. But when I got to the place where I would return differently than how I came, I saw that the planned return road was not well paved. On the other hand, the route I had taken in the morning was where I had the challenging climb on the beautiful surface. Who goes up gets to come down! On my mile-long descent I went as fast as 37.5 miles per hour. I arrived at my hotel shortly before 5:30.

After a shower, shave, and change of clothes, I was ready for dinner. On my way to dinner I followed the suggestion of my friend Chris Barker to visit the Crayola museum. Standing outside the Crayola Experience when it's closed counts as visiting, right?

I considered going to Maxim's 22 and having a hamburger, but I had thoroughly enjoyed my dinner at River Grille the night before and was thinking about their cheesecake with blueberry sauce. I decided to return to River Grille. I thought maybe I could substitute something for the fries so that I would be able to enjoy dessert. My server told me there were several vegetables available. She said they weren't on the menu and aren't offered unless someone asks. I chose the grilled asparagus and was pleased. But having eaten a salad as well as a hamburger and the asparagus I had omit the cheesecake. I told my server I thought they ought to include the vegetables on the menu as sides and as options along with the fries.

As I'm writing this on March 16th I realized I could have ridden along both sides of the Delaware River between Easton and Milford in addition to south of Milford. Why didn't I do that? I think it's because my original plan for the trip was to stay at America's Best Value Inn in Phillipsburg. The route I created between there and Stockton had me riding along the river only south of Milford. When I changed my plans and decided to stay in Eaton I modified my route by riding between Easton and the Best Value Inn. If I had thought through my route more thoroughly I probably would have also ridden along the river between Easton and Milford, which would have added six miles to the day's ride. I would have avoided that nasty chipseal, but I also would have missed the challenging climbs and fast descents.

I'm grateful to Leslie Rotman Sackman for suggesting I stay in Easton rather than Phillipsburg. I'm sure I would have been comfortable at the Best Value Inn, but I love the elegance of the Grand Eastonian and its neighborhood is so much more attractive.

My post from the previous day: March 10, 2021 - New York, NY, to Easton, PA
My post from the next day: March 12, 2021 - Easton, PA, to New York, NY

Comments

Popular Posts