March 12, 2021 - Easton, PA, to New York, NY

Start: Easton, PA
End: New York, NY
Miles: 82.3
Feet climbing per mile: 39
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/63778503

I got up at 7:15 and went back to bed at 7:30 with the thought that I would sleep until 8:00. I didn't wake again until 9:00 and was out the door at 9:30, having packed everything I could the night before. The temperature was already 60. I was looking forward to a ride of 68 miles, 39 miles of which would be new to me. I expected an easy day, with little climbing overall and just one significant climb of about a mile.

For most of the first 30 miles or so I was on beautiful country roads with little traffic.

At mile 19 I came to a sign that said "ROAD CLOSED". I noticed that the sign's post was rusted, suggested the sign had been there a long time. Rather than looking for a detour I continued on my route in hope that I would be able to get through.

A half mile later I saw the reason for the sign.

Footbridge over the Raritan River

A mile and a half after crossing the footbridge over the Raritan Rive I made a stop at Sweet Melissa Patisserie where I had a hot chocolate. All the pastries look fabulously delicious but I wasn't hungry so had to pass. I met one of the owners, Chris, who told me they used to have several locations in New York City before moving to Hunterdon County.

Does this count as a selfie?

A mile after leaving Sweet Melissa I saw about a dozen bulls, all standing still. I've often seen cows while riding but I think this is the first time I've seen bulls.


From mile 43 to Newark I rode a route I had ridden several times, including the first day of my 4,500-mile trip in 2019. At mile 49 I made a stop to enjoy my favorite biking beverage.

At mile 55 I saw a playground with kids on teeter totters. I saw that when one of the girls on a teeter totter came down she always banged the ground, while the other girl landed more gently. I mentioned this to them and the girl who was landing with a bang said she thought it was because she was heavier. I suggested she sit at the closer position. When she did that she no longer banged. Watching the video I now think that the banging was also helped by the lighter girl pushing harder against the ground.

At mile 57 I saw some kids with a lemonade stand so of course I stopped to make a purchase.

I arrived at the Newark train station at 4:15. I had planned to take a PATH train to Manhattan, but a police officer told me that non-folding bikes were not allowed between 3:30 and 6:30. I told him I had already ridden 69 miles but that didn't make any difference to him. When I asked whether wheelchairs were allowed he said that I knew the answer and asked whether I was being sarcastic. I said something about the rule being stupid because the trains were almost empty in the non-rush direction. He said it didn't matter. I refrained from saying that I hoped he enjoyed making his living enforcing idiotic rules.

I considered riding to Harrison, the next PATH station, and attempting to board there, but instead I decided to ride to Paulus Hook where I would catch the ferry to Manhattan. I followed a route from Newark to Paulus Hook which I had never ridden. All went fine until mile 71.3, where Ferry Street becomes Raymond Boulevard which becomes Route 9. I could not follow the directions given by my route, probably due to the construction. I had ridden through this area several times in the other direction, so I attempted to walk or ride it in reverse but failed to do so. I eventually ended up riding a portion of Raymond Boulevard that becomes Route 9 with the plan to quickly take the Doremus Avenue exit. Suddenly I found myself in fast heavy traffic being followed by an 18-wheeler. Motivated by the traffic behind me, I got going 24 miles per hour. I think the driver of the truck saw me and slowed down. As quickly as I could I got off to the side and walked on the grass, only to find my path blocked by construction. When I saw an opening in the traffic I got back in the lane and ran around the construction to get back to the safety of the grass. After a short walk I was able to follow a route I had previously ridden to Paulus Hook.

Too much excitement!

I arrived at Paulus Hook just before sunset.

Manhattan seen from Paulus Hook

The sun had set by the time I was on the ferry.

Manhattan seen from the ferry

After a short ride across the Hudson I rode another four miles and was home just before 7:00. Because of being stopped from taking the PATH train I had ridden an additional 13 miles, bringing the total to 82. Despite the distance the day seemed rather easy, due to the lack of climbing and also a frequent tailwind.

On March 25th, 2019, just a few weeks before my 4,500-mile solo trip, I crashed as I was turning from Raymond Boulevard onto Market Street when I hit a raised concrete barrier on the right side of the left-turn lane. You can read about my crash here. On this day, at mile 69.35, I saw that the hazard remains, despite my attempts to have it removed.

The barrier I hit on March 25th, 2019

This was my first multi-day trip since early January. I've taken one three-day trip every month since last October except for February. There were a few days in February conducive for a trip but I was feeling tired after getting my second COVID vaccine on the 20th. I look forward to continuing to take a three-day trip every month. I don't know when I will take a longer one.

My post from the previous day: March 11, 2021 - Easton, PA, to Stockton, NJ, and return

Comments

Popular Posts