Planning: Itinerary (Update II)

On the advice of Chad Smoot at www.ridewithgps.com, I have split the routes for my 4000-mile trip into single-day routes. This will save battery power because my phone will have less data to deal with at any time. Click here to see all my routes.

Yesterday, May 8th, I again rode the first 39 miles of my route for the first day of my 4000-mile trip. I wanted to see whether I could make two further improvements across the Hackensack and Passaic rivers.


1) At mile 8.2 of https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29561455 I continued on Duncan Avenue and then took a left at Route 1/9. This worked well and allowed me to avoid having to cross Route 1/9 on Communipaw Avenue after exiting Lincoln Park. The lights were timed so that I was able to ride the half mile on Route 1/9 without any traffic catching up to me from behind. If the traffic turns out to be a problem I could ride (or walk) on the path to the right of Route 1/9. I have updated Big Loop 01-New York, NY, to Danboro, PA to incorporate this change.

2) At mile 9.7 I took a right turn on Hackensack Avenue, followed by a left on Second Avenue and a left on Central Avenue before entering the path to the right of Route 1/9, rather than crossing to the south side of Route 1/9. These turns allow me to avoid crossing some ramps, but it's easy enough cross the ramps, the path on the north side of Route 1/9 was full of dirt that required me to walk for a short distance, and the U-turn I made at mile 11.3 was awkward, so I will not use this variation.

I continued to follow Big Loop 01-New York, NY, to Danboro, PA to South Bound Brook and then rode to a Starbucks a few miles off my route to have a hot chocolate. I returned to Newark and took the PATH train back to Chelsea. Here's the record of my entire ride:



I've now ridden from Manhattan to Newark and from Newark to South Bound Brook several times, each time making an improvement in the route. Most of the road surface is excellent, and much of the route goes through areas with plenty of trees. There is often a wide shoulder or parking lane in which to ride, and where I take the lane on four-lane roads the traffic is not overwhelming. I will certainly get off to a great start when I depart on May 28th.

Comments

  1. Getting closer everyday. It's going to be quite an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! And I depart just 15 days from today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts