Gear Update - June 26, 2023

In the post I write about changes to my gear since Gear Update - April 7, 2022.

Softstar DASH RunAmocs

The Softstar DASH RunAmocs I bought to use as off-bike shoes for my 4,500-mile 90-day trip in 2019 have served me well but had become quite worn, so last year I bought another pair. There were two improvements in those shoes between 2019 and 2022:

1) More space between the left and right eyelets:

2022 on the left, 2019 on the right

2) Better hold from the heel cup due to a steeper angle:

2022 on the left, 2019 on the right

However, I find there is still too much material across the middle of the shoe, resulting in buckling:

Just as in 2019, when the shoes arrived in 2022 for quite a while they seemed to be too short. After stretching the shoes with shoe trees they now fit perfectly!

Repair of Earpiece

The HIFEER earpiece I use for audible directions has a plug that closes the USB outlet so that no water can enter. The tab on the plug used to remove it from the outlet had withered away from repeated pulling. I solved this problem with the following steps:

1) I inserted a small finishing nail through the plug.

2) I trimmed the nail with my Park Tool CN-10 Cable and Housing Cutter.

3) I smoothed the cut end of the nail with sandpaper and then applied some Bondic to the tip to make it even smoother.

The plug can be closed securely and then easily opened by pulling on the exposed part of the nail. The nail does not press into my ear lobe.

Replacement of Gauge in Lezyne Floor Pump

The gauge of the Lezyne floor pump I bought in 2009 stopped working so I replaced it with one I bought from bikeinn.

Replacement gauge

Catalyst Pedals

As I wrote in Health Report - May 21, 2023, in an attempt to improve the health of my toes, I recently experimented with Catalyst Pedals. These pedals are longer than regular flat pedals and so allow the full arch of the foot to be over the pedal. In contrast, cleated pedals (which I've used for the past twelve years) and regular flat pedals (which I haven't used for decades) both have the metatarsal-phalangeal joints (at the front of the arch) over the pedal axle.

Arch of the foot over the Catalyst pedal

Metatarsal-phalangeal joints over the pedal axle       

James Wilson, creator of Catalyst Pedals, convincingly argues in the video below that Catalyst Pedals allow one to generate more power than when using cleated pedals or regular flat pedals, and furthermore avoid over-stressing the metatarsal-phalangeal joints. The possibility of generating more power and reducing the stress on my metatarsal-phalangeal joints made Catalyst Pedals an attractive option.

My first impression of Catalyst Pedals was that although the total length of the pedal is 5.6 inches, the effective platform length is only 5 inches, which is not enough to reach from the ball of my foot to the center of my heel. I therefore need to use a shoe with at least a moderately stiff sole.

I did a total of seven rides over the same 5-mile course in order to test these pedals. I removed all the pins (see the picture below) from one side of each of the pedals so that I could test them both with and without the pins. I found that I needed to lower my saddle 1.25 inches in order to accommodate the placement of my foot on the pedals.

I noticed that I consistently used higher gears than with my usual cleated pedals, which implied that I was able to generate more power. When using the side of the pedals without pins I was able to easily adjust the position of my feet, unlike when using the side with pins. But in neither case did I find it easy to know where to place my feet on the pedals, since I was mating the flat surfaces of my soles with the flat surfaces of the pedals. I missed being able to easily backpedal with a single foot when getting ready to start riding, and my toes would bump against the front wheel when moving very slowly and weaving. Most importantly, I never felt secure on the pedals. In summary:

Advantages

  • Ability to generate more power
  • Elimination of excess stress on metatarsal-phalangeal joints

Disadvantages

  • Difficulty finding where to place feet
  • With pins: Difficulty adjusting position of feet
  • Without pins: Feet can shift unexpectedly
  • More difficult to backpedal with a single foot when getting ready to start riding
  • Toes bumping against front wheel when moving very slowly and weaving
  • Lack of feeling secure

The advantages are significant, but I find that they do not outweigh the disadvantages. I am therefore going to continue using my Shimano Dura Ace PD-7800 pedals and SIDI Genius 5 shoes, forgoing power for security. I wonder whether I would switch to Catalyst pedals if there were a cleated version.

In addition to testing the Catalyst pedals with my arches over the pedals, I also tested them placing my metatarsal-phalangeal joints over the pedal axles. It was interesting to feel my metatarsal-phalangeal joints articulate as I pedaled, which is not possible when wearing my SIDI Genius 5 shoes because of their stiff soles.

Packing of Top-Tube Bag

After returning from my trip in June 2023 (June 5-9, 2023 - Jim Thorpe Camping Resort, PA) I found that I could pack more items in my top-tube bag than I had previously packed. Here's the list of what I now pack in that bag:
  • Air pillow and pillow case (in stuff sack of air pillow)
  • Tent fabric (in stuff sack of air mattress)
  • Headlamp
  • Clothesline
  • Footprint folded in sixths wrapped around rolled air mattress folded in quarters
  • Light sleeping bag liner (in its stuff sack)

If I do not tape down the three tabs that secure my top-tube bag to the top tube they do not lie flat, and therefore irritate my right leg. Previously I had applied tape all the way around the bag and the top tube, but I have found that a single piece of gaffer's tape on each tab as shown in the picture below is sufficient to keep the tabs flat.

One of the tabs taped down

The gaffer's tape leaves a residue which is easily removed with Goo Gone.

Residue left after removing the tape

Subscribe to this blog

If you post a comment, please identify yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts