Day 91: October 4, 2024 - Blacksburg, VA, to Alexandria, VA

Start: Blacksburg, VA
End: Alexandria, VA
Miles: 268 (by car)

The day started with a drive through the campus of Virginia Tech. Jim and Lyn told me about the many buildings and the history of the university. We stopped and got out of the car to see the memorial for the thirty-two students and teachers killed in the mass shooting that took place in 2007.

Although I had initially planned to take a train from Roanoke to Alexandria, the train schedule was not convenient so I drove instead. As I had done the previous day, I used electrical tape on the backs of my phone and battery in order to mount them to the dashboard so that I could use Google Maps.

I spent the night at the home of John, a friend I’ve known since high school. It was good to reconnect with him and his wife Lisa, both of whom I hadn’t seen since my big trip in 2019, and with their son Matthew who had been too young to remember when we met when he was just a few years old. After returning the rental car to Enterprise, we had dinner at a Mexican restaurant where we were able to get guacamole without cilantro.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts