Day 94: October 7, 2024 - Alexandria, VA, to Westminster, MD

Start: Alexandria, VA
End: Westminster, MD
Miles: 76.2
Feet climbing per mile: 71
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/228446755

The first few miles of the day’s ride included roads with traffic and no shoulder, but I was soon on bike paths that took me through Arlington, Washington, and beyond. Many of the paths were well paved, but unfortunately some were not. After getting off the paths I realized that one of the irregularities I hit had put a flat spot on my front rim. Fortunately the braking with the front wheel is still smooth, but after I get home I will need to replace the rim.

Instead of riding the path below I found a detour on paved paths and streets.

Eventually I was out of suburbia.

I thought the trees below were especially beautiful. What sort of trees are they?

I’ve been wanting to make this video for a long time. Unfortunately I forgot to include the initial “O yes”.

With that scrotum of testicles the big one is clearly a bull.

Near the end of the day I was on highway 27 for seventeen and one half miles. Because of the heavy traffic, I was glad to be able to ride the generous smooth shoulder, but it had a design I had never seen before. Whenever there was an option for a left turn, the shoulder would disappear in order to create a lane in which the traffic could continue without being hampered by vehicles turning left. This was clever, but it posed a challenge for me. Too bad no provision had been made for at least a narrow shoulder to the right of the extra lane.

When I entered my room at the Best Western the picture below was on the TV screen.

I had dinner at Baugher’s.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the cost of my trip (which I now expect to be about $14,000, not $10,000 as I initially estimated) by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts