Day 97: October 10, 2024 - Royersford, PA, to Danboro, PA

Start: Royersford, PA
End: Danboro, PA
Miles: 32.3
Feet climbing per mile: 68
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/229114688

I enjoyed the free breakfast at the hotel and more swimming in the pool. I arranged for a late check-out of 12:30 because of the short distance I would be riding.

I spent much of the day on beautiful roads with little traffic.

For my third flat of this trip I again found a good place to turn my bike upside-down in order to remove the rear wheel.

I carefully examined the tube and was unable to find any sign of a puncture, but it’s often the case that the puncture can’t be found without inflating the tube and putting it in water. I carefully examined the tire and was unable to find any possible cause of the puncture. I thought that maybe one of the spoke ends was the culprit, because the rim tape looks rather old. I think the rim tape is what I installed when I built the wheels in 2019. I installed a spare tube and was on my way.

Late in the ride I was on roads with a lot of traffic and no shoulder, so I used Google Maps to reroute onto roads with little traffic.

It was a pleasure to finish the day’s ride feeling strong. I doubt that I would have felt that way if I had ridden from Lancaster to Danboro yesterday rather than splitting the distance between two days.

I spent the night at the home of Mike and Molly. I met Mike through warm showers.org in the fall of 2018. I stayed with Mike twice on my proof-of-concept trip in 2018, and again on the first night of my big trip in 2019. After enjoying the dinner Molly prepared we went out for ice cream.

I was unsuccessful finding the leak in the tube using the water test with my small pump. I then used Mike’s floor pump and immediately felt air against my face. This was another pinch flat. I patched the tube and installed it in my front tire in order to test my repair. If the tire has pressure in the morning close to what it had after inflating the patched tube, I will conclude that the repair was good.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the cost of my trip (which I now expect to be about $14,000, not $10,000 as I initially estimated) by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts