Day 13: July 18, 2024 - Sisters, OR, to Prineville, OR

Start: Sisters, OR
End: Prineville, OR
Miles: 39.9
Feet climbing per mile: 34
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/203347642

Scott and I left his place at 5:40 to drive back to Sisters where I would resume riding where Scott had picked me up the day before. I was on the road at 7:00 and the temperature was 55. This would be a relatively easy day, with a short distance and not much climbing. Throughout the day I would usually be on highway 126 which almost always had a shoulder with an excellent surface and a width sufficient for when cars would pass. When trucks passed there were many times I wished the shoulder were wider.

At about mile 12 I saw that someone had lost a tent pole, so on several Facebook biking groups I posted a picture of it and a map showing its location. I hope the person who lost the tent pole sees one of my posts and recovers it.

The scenery throughout the ride was often gorgeous.

Who needs a truck?

Do you want the one on the left?

Or the one on the right?

I stopped at the Starbucks in Redmond to have a hot chocolate and a brownie. While I was there I had a conversation with a sheriff in which he told me he loved to drive two-lane and four-lane roads and that it was a great way to see America. I asked him what was meant by “sunken grade” which I’ve seen on several signs. He told me it’s a place where the road and sunk, and that I wouldn’t notice it on a bike but that it’s noticeable going faster in a motor vehicle.

I find horses to be such majestic animals.

This was the most timid group of cows I have ever seen. When I first approached them they all backed away.

The curving descent into Prineville starting at mile 36.8 offered spectacular views. I will post the video I took if I can find a way to do so.

I stopped at the Dairy Queen shortly before arriving at my motel. They usually put a large sundae in a cup too small to prevent it from going all over the table, but I managed to get them to use a larger dish.

I arrived at the Executive Inn in Prineville at noon and the temperature was now 85. After a shower, shave, change of clothes, and a nap, I walked a half mile to Pioneer Park to work on my blog posts at one of the picnic tables in the pavilion I had seen on my ride to my motel.

Regarding my blog posts: As of yesterday, day 12 of this trip, I had published posts only through day 8. I’ve been trying to catch up and feeling vexed by writing about what happened a few days ago instead of the immediate day. So today I decided that I would write each day about that day, and then, if I had time and energy, work on a post for one of the previous days in the backlog. I will publish posts as soon as I finish them (provided I have an internet connection). For a while this will leave a gap in the published posts. As I publish posts from the backlog I will give them (incorrect) publication dates that will have them displayed on my blog in the correct order.

At the park I almost finished writing this blog post, and then wrote and published my post for yesterday, day 12. My new method is working!

After leaving the park I went to The Sandwich Factory for dinner and then walked to Ray's Food Place where I bought three bars of dark chocolate for the coming mornings.

Tomorrow I'll be up at 5:00 and on the road at 5:30, a little before sunrise, so that I can arrive in Mitchell before it gets too hot.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If you’d like to help pay for the cost of this trip, please do so by clicking on the GoFundMe graphic at the bottom of this post.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts