Day 19: July 24, 2024 - Rest day

I was up at 5:45, staying on my early schedule. Today was another rest day due to the extreme heat. Tomorrow’s forecast is for cooler weather. I hope that the air quality is good enough to be able to ride to Halfway. Due to the smoke from the many wildfires, July 19th was the last day I rode my bike. So today will be the fifth day I haven’t ridden.

Here are some alternate lyrics for the song Woyoya:

It will be hard we know
And the air will be smoky and hot but we’ll get there
Heaven knows how we will get there
We know we will


I weighed 164 pounds on June 30th but now I’m up to 169. I suspect the increase is due to my not riding for several days.

I visited the Baker Heritage Museum. There was a sign inviting pianists to play the piano below, so I played my song Ancient Figures.


As I walked around, I had the thought that in 100 or 200 years all the artifacts of our modern life will look as quaint as the artifacts I saw in the museum.




I wonder whether anyone has ever ridden across the country on a penny farthing.

There's taking too much stuff and then there's taking too much stuff.

I did not play this piano. I had never seen one with that design.




I was told by someone working at the museum that this is a real skeleton.


Note my feet, for scale. Why would someone need such a large sliderule?

I was glad to see some kids playing in the park near the museum on what Mike Macewich and I call the Puke Machine, even if it was a tame version.

After I visited the museum I bought clear topcoat (nail polish) to use as glue, a roll of electrical tape, and a spool of dark grey thread. I told Kristi, who sold me the thread at Treasure Every Stitch, about my possible need for a ride to Halfway. She told me about a bus service but when I called I was told the bus went from Baker City to Halfway only Wednesdays, and that it had left in the morning.

After shopping I had a delicious sandwich, potato salad, and ice cream cone at Charley’s Deli & Ice Cream. While I was there a storm with high winds lasted about 30 minutes. Later I saw that the storm had damaged several trees.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts