Day 23: July 28, 2024 - Rest day

Again I was up at 5:00. At 6:45 the moon appeared white, rather than orange, and I could see clouds in the sky, the first time in several days.

My Ortlieb trunk bag is working well. When I first got it I imagined that I might miss the XLC trunk bag it replaced and which I had used since 2014. It served me well but I don’t miss it at all.

On this trip I’ve had more frequent phone calls with friends than on my 90-day trip in 2019. I suspect that is largely due to the many rest days I’ve had.

I refined my plan to escape the smoke and now intend to rent a car in Ontario, rather than Boise. I can ride to Ontario in one or two days whereas Boise would  have taken two or three. I also intend t drop the car in Idaho Falls, Idaho, or Jackson, Wyoming, rather than Billings, Montana. Where I ride to rejoin the Trans Am route is subject to the changing smoke, but it might be as early as West Yellowstone. In that case I would be skipping routes 13 through 20 rather than 13 through 26.

As my neighbors were packing to leave they gave me some cold watermelon, cantaloup, and honeydew melon. What a treat that was! My dinner consisted of cheese and saltines my they had given me the previous day.

After dinner I took a walk to the entrance of the campground and then through the campground immediately north of this one. On my walk I saw some beautiful scenery.

I went to sleep with no word from the seller of the rack about options for fast delivery. I suspect he doesn’t do any eBay business on weekends.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts