Day 4: July 9, 2024 - Manzanita, OR, to Netarts, OR

Start: Manzanita, OR
End: Netarts, OR
Miles: 50.4
Feet climbing per mile: 59
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/200219792

I was up at 5:30 and on the road at 7:15.

The route I created the previous night to avoid 101 put me on some beautiful, quiet roads, And the section of 101 I did ride had a wide shoulder and no logging trucks.

A highlight of the day was to stop at the Tillamook (pronounced “TILL-uh-muck”) Creamery. I first had their ice cream when I was staying with Stephanie and Sean in Portland. I’ve seen their cheese in New York but I don’t recall seeing their ice cream.

Riding Cape Meares rather than cutting across the peninsula I saw some beautiful scenery and some interesting signs.




I wonder what use is made of that boat.

About mile 37 I began I tough climb on a road with new asphalt. After I had gone about a mile I saw that I had missed a turn. I thought that it might be better to continue without making the turn, so I parked my bike and walked back to the turn.

I found that the turn I had missed led to a gravel road, so I returned to my bike and started walking it up the hill because it was too steep to get started riding. Soon there was a level section where I resumed riding, and then there was a descent marked by a sign indicating a 12% grade.

I stopped in Netarts (pronounced KNEE-tarts) and stopped at the Upstairs Bar & GrilI. This was the closest food to the campground where I was headed six miles ahead, so ate my dinner in the early afternoon. I arrived at Cape Lookout State Park at 3:20.


That night I saw a beautiful sunset.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If you’d like to help pay for the cost of this trip, please do so by clicking on the GoFundMe graphic at the bottom of this post.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts