Day 26: July 31, 2024 - Rest Day

As of this day, day 26, I have ridden 688 miles, just 15% of the total estimated miles. I’ve had eleven rest days, one because I wanted a rest, one because I needed to have my off-bike shoes repaired, four of them due to smoke and five due to waiting for a new rack to arrive. So I’ve had fifteen riding days, with a daily average of 46 miles. That average is rather low due to the extreme heat and some traveling between home stays. If I were to have no more rest days, the earliest I would arrive home is now September 30th. But there are at least sixty-one more riding days. Taking into account fifteen more rest days (one for every four riding days), the earliest I would arrive home is October 15th.

In the middle of the night stars were visible throughout the sky. How wonderful it was to see that instead of smoke.

Do I need to keep saying I was up at 5:00? I’m going to keep getting up at that time as long as I’m dealing with heat.

On my morning walk I saw a bird running around. I thought it might be injured, but when I told Ron, who cooked the steak and potatoes Julia delivered the previous day, he said he thought it could be a quail. What do yo u think? Please let me know by leaving a comment below this post.

Late in the day my reading glasses came undone. I don’t have with me a small enough screwdriver to tighten the screw, but I think I can reassemble the glasses by using dental floss and clear finger nail polish.

As I wrote in Aphorisms and Exhortations,

Everything tightened together, sooner or later, comes apart.

When I went to sleep, and when I checked in the middle of the night, the USPS website showed my rack had arrived in Boise but gave little indication of further progress.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts