Day 2: July 7, 2024 - Vernonia, OR, to Astoria, OR

Start: Vernonia, OR
End: Astoria, OR
Miles: 62.4
Feet climbing per mile: 70
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/199602378

Despite not getting to sleep until after 12:30, I was up at 5:30 and on the road at 7:15. I knew that it would be hot and that there would be few opportunities to get water so I filled my 2-liter bladder. I was glad to be able to refill it at the Jewel Meadows elk lookout. Throughout the ride I drank a total of 5.5 liters.

Early in the day I came across a huge collection of bikes for sale.


Throughout the day the scenery was beautiful and the traffic was light, although several times when I was in the lane due to the lack of a shoulder, a driver would move over rather later and move back rather early while moving fast.


The first place I could stop for a snack was The Big O at mile 54 where I had a Mtn Dew and a brownie.


I arrived at the Norblad Hotel at 3:45. When I made my reservation I had thought that the Norblad was an elegant, normal hotel. Instead it was much more interesting, charming, and attractive, being slightly funky but perfectly clean. My room had a sink and a mirror but the showers and toilets, all single-use, were located throughout the hall. I told Cisco, who had taken my reservation and was at the front desk when I arrived, that I thought their website did not adequately represent the hotel.

I ate dinner across the street at the Fort George in the large outdoor seating area. Besides the delicious food, I enjoyed seeing families with kids and dogs playing freely.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If you’d like to help pay for the cost of this trip, please do so by clicking on the GoFundMe graphic at the bottom of this post.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts