Day 20: July 25, 2024 - Baker City, OR, to Halfway, OR

Start: Baker City, OR
End: Halfway, OR
Miles: 54.9
Feet climbing per mile: 57
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/205805822

I was up at 5:15 and saw that the air looked good enough to ride to Halfway. Before going to sleep that was not the case, so I hadn’t packed in preparation for riding, so it took longer than it might have and I was not on the road until 6:45.

Besides packing, I also improved the repair of a water bottle cage that had been broken since I walked down the stairs at the office of RideWithGPS in Portland. If you look carefully you might be able to see that I used a piece of a plastic knife as a splint on the lower break on the right side of the cage.

Early in my ride I passed a field that all sorts of  machines that seemed to have been retired.


Hells Canyon (I’ve read that no apostrophe is needed, much to my dismay) is not as spectacular as areas through which I had previously ridden or was driven, but it does have its own beauty. And it’s deeper than the Grand Canyon.


I wonder whether the dogs ever made it across the river.





The first 42 miles of the ride was quite easy. The air was good, the temperature was cool, and the profile was mostly downhill. I considered the possibility of not stopping in Halfway but rather continuing to Cambridge, which would have brought the mileage for the day to 112. I immediately rejected the idea, knowing that it would soon be hot.

Along the way I met Lucas (from Brooklyn) who was cycling east-to-west on the Trans Am trail.

I stopped at Sara’s Richland Cafe and had an amazingly delicious piece of mixed-berry pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

After I had left the cafe and was getting ready to ride, I met Evy and Jim who were biking the Trans Am trail west-to-east and were about to stop at the cafe.

I noticed that the air was now smoky and hot. What a change from when I arrived at the cafe!

After a few miles I began a climb that would last about five or six miles in hot air full of smoke.. I met two cyclists who were traveling east-to-west but I was too tired to exchange contact info with them. The air was hot and full of smoke and I walked several times before coming to the summit where I began a fast descent of four miles.

I arrived at the Halfway Motel about 1:00. After checking in to my room I lay down and fell asleep for at least half an hour. It might have been a full hour, or more.

Halfway has an outdoor performance space.

Next to the Halfway Motel are three structures that I suspect have historic significance.


I would guess that the structure to the right is all that remains of the first house built here.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts