Rest Day - June 18th, 2019

Having gone to sleep at 9:30 last night, I woke at 6:00 refreshed. After awhile I rode out about a mile on the Parkway where I found cellular service. I sent several email messages I had composed previously, and spoke with Dave Nadolski, a friend since grade school. Dave and his wife Connie are camping south of here and tomorrow will be driving north on the Parkway while I’m riding south. Our plan is to have lunch wherever we meet. Dave and Connie are sure to see me even if we can‘t communicate our locations with our phones.

I was pleased to discover that the repair of my air mattress was good. The tackiness of the patch I felt yesterday was due to the fact that I had applied two patches, back-to-back, wasting the second patch.

It’s now 12:20 p.m. The rain that was forecast has not happened. Perhaps today will be a dry day.

My ankles are still swollen, although not as much as they have been. I’m drinking as much water as I can to reduce the swelling.

I forgot to mention earlier how light and responsive my unloaded bike felt riding out to the Parkway. I wonder what sort of time I could make if I weren’t carrying the extra 18 pounds.

In the middle of the night I had an idea to add some fabric to the top of my sleep sack in order to be able to secure it to the top of my air mattress. This will have to wait until I visit my brother Tim and his wife Sonja in Marietta, GA, outside of Atlanta.

Yesterday I often used my lowest gear, not 34/28, but walking. While walking against traffic there were a few cars that did not move away from the center of the lane, so instead of walking at the edge of the road, I occupied perhaps the outside third of the lane. When I did that all of the cars moved over to give me room. So taking the lane seems to be the smart thing to do when walking as well as biking.

It’s 2:10. I just came back from riding out to the same location where I found cell service this morning. Again I was able to send and receive email. I got a little wet but I’m glad I went out. 

Inside my tent

What’s going on in the conversation recorded above?
Perhaps seduction for afternoon delight?

It’s now 10:45 p.m. After writing the paragraph above I had a peaceful and much-needed nap. Soon the rain got heavy, and when the lightning and thunder started I followed the instructions on the sign and ran to the bathhouse after gathering the things I would need if I were to stay there for a few hours. A crack of lightning overhead disabled the electricity in the bathhouse.


Soon one of the other campers arrived in his car, said he was going to dinner, in Blowing Rock, and invited me to join him. Ryan picked a restaurant whose every dish I ordered was delicious.

After returning to the campground I had a shower followed by a shave. Some men go into the wilderness and stop shaving, but I’m shaving more often than at home, perhaps as a way to push back against the wild.

It’s been a full rest day that has restored me in preparation for my 54-mile ride tomorrow with the usual climbing of 100 feet per mile. I’m ready to sleep now at 11:00 and expect to rise at 6:00 and be on the Parkway by 7:00 or 7:30.

Comments

Popular Posts