Riding Day 11 - June 12th, 2019

Start: Peaks of Otter Lodge
End: Roanoke, VA
Miles: 34.3
Feet climbing per mile: 2761
Record of today's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35884892

It’s 8:45 a.m. Late last night I made a reservation for an airbnb near downtown Roanoke, so today’s ride will be about 40 miles, with not much climbing. I expect the wifi will be much better than what I have at Peaks of Otter Lodge, so tonight I expect to publish several blog posts. It’s in the mid-50s and sunny, I’m looking forward to riding with ideal weather.

* * *

It’s 9:48 p.m. After riding just 34 miles with climbs and descents, I arrived at the airbnb I booked last night. The bed was comfortable but the room and the common areas were cold and full of scents distributed by several devices. I cancelled my reservation and called Pete from warmshowers.org to see whether his room was still available (I had made a request to Pete last night and then booked the airbnb before Pete replied). It was not, but Pete suggested I go to the Downshift bike shop which was one block from the airbnb because there are two airbnb rooms above it. I told Pete that maybe one of the customers at the shop would offer me a place to stay. That’s exactly what happened. Steve Ambruzs, owner of the bike shop, made some calls and so did I, all without success, and then Bill and Suzy, customers in the bike shop, invited me to stay with them. I had an enjoyable dinner with them and will spend the night in their comfortable guest room.

The home of Bill and Suzy

Riding into Roanoke I realized that it had been nine days since I had been in a city this large. What a strange sensation it was to return to civilization.

I treated this as a warning rather than an instruction

Tomorrow I will ride about 53 miles to Tuggles Gap, where I will stay at the motel and have dinner at the restaurant.

Comments

Popular Posts