Riding Day 5 - June 1st, 2019

Start: Bethesda, MD
End: Alexandria, VA
Miles: 22.3
Feet climbing per mile: 62
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35436319

Before riding to Washington and then to Alexandria, this morning I met my colleague Seth Dellinger for conversation and to receive a Feldenkrais lesson that will help me be more comfortable on my bike.

I found Washington, DC, to be much more crowded than when I lived in Northern Virginia (1981-1995) and taught at The George Washington University and worked for a software firm in Springfield, VA.

Near the mall and in Arlington National Cemetery I saw many scooters, all marked with the logo “Bird”, lying in the grass and in the middle of bike paths, apparently abandoned by their previous riders. I’m guessing there is some sort of scooter-sharing program in addition to a bike-sharing program, that unlike the latter does not require the rider to return the scooter to a docking station. Although I see the easy availability of scooters as positive in that it makes it easier for people to get around, I think such a program encourages people to be irresponsible for their actions. 


I’ve been plagued the last few days by rough shifting of my rear derailleur and by the chain jamming when I shift between chainwheels. As I rode into Georgetown I saw the Bicycle Pro Shop on M Street and decided to get help from one of the mechanics. Scott McConell quickly determined that the problems were the result of using a chain not appropriate for my chainwheels and cogs. He didn’t have a chain I could use, so I ordered one from Amazon and it will arrive tomorrow. I’m so relieved to know the source of the trouble and that the solution is so easy.

I will stay tonight and tomorrow night with John Noelle and his wife, Lisa Herz. John and I have been friends since high school.

Tomorrow is my first full rest day. In addition to installing a new chain I will finally be taping my handlebars. I will also be lubing the rear brake cable. I thought I did that when I recently installed new cable housing but the cable is feeling very sticky.



* * *
The spreadsheet at Big Loop includes information about the earliest possible day I would arrive at each of my destinations. Throughout my ride I will update the spreadsheet to reflect any deviations between my plans and what actually happens, as well as any changes to my plans.


You can find links to all my routes here: Big Loop Event

Comments

  1. I'm very happy that you found the source of the jamming. I hope that you have the wind at your back, and all good things.

    Best wishes always, Harold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll have more to say about the source of the jamming in my post about June 3rd.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts