Rest Day - June 28th, 2019

This morning I completed a rough draft of my itinerary between Marietta and Carbondale, IL. As I was filling my rear tire in preparation to ride my Feldenkrais lesson, the valve core came loose, just as it had when filling my front tire the first day of my trip. I used my mini needle nose pliers to tighten it and then my small hand pump to inflate the tube. The valve core held, but I knew I needed to get a valve core tool.

I told Brian Baraszu, my Feldenkrais teacher for today’s lesson, that I wanted to improve two things: 1) the free use of my pelvis so that I would stop experiencing soreness on my left sit bone, and 2) the connection between my left shoulder blade and my back which has been disrupted since I crashed on March 25th.

At the end of the lesson I noticed a bias towards walking over my right leg and secure connection between both of my shoulder blades and my back. While riding after the lesson I noticed something different about how my left sit bone made contact with the saddle, perhaps with less weight. Maybe the soreness on my left sit bone, which has become less over the past two years, will go away.

My biking shoes used to have some stitching that prevented the tongue from slipping down. That stitching broke a few years ago (the shoes are eight or nine years old) and I never bothered to have it repaired. As a result, on this trip I’ve developed some soreness on the front of each of my ankles. After my Feldenkrais lesson I saw the Instant Shoe Repair shop and had C.J. the proprietor make the repair. Next to Instant Shoe Repair I had a cup of rolled ice cream at Snowy Rolls.

A few miles from the home of Tim and Sonja I purchased a valve core tool at Free-Flite Bicycles so that I won’t have to rely on my needle nose pliers for the security of my valve cores. The tool fits easily into my tool bag and adds about an ounce of weight.

Riding to the lesson and the bike shop came to a total of 24.8 miles with 75 feet per mile of climbing. Here’s a record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36553827

I wonder who thought that creating suburbs consisting of small neighborhoods connected only by four-lane highways was a good idea. And who decided that people would not be interested in walking?


I had promised Tim and Sonja that I would prepare dinner tonight, so after returning from my ride I walked to the grocery store where I bought chicken thighs, kale, and yellow potatoes. I also made a salad of mixed greens and tomatoes from ingredients on hand.

I had not yet decided whether to leave tomorrow or the next day, but after dinner it became clear that I needed another day to complete my itinerary between here and Carbondale. At 9:45, with the decision when to leave settled, I ran to the pool to swim before the closing time of 10:00. What a refreshing treat that was!

Comments

Popular Posts