Riding Day 12 - June 13th, 2019

Start: Roanoke, VA
End: Floyd, VA
Miles: 54.7
Feet climbing per mile: 120
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35927196

Last night I compared the bicycle and driving directions to the Parkway given by Google Maps and decided to use the latter because they seemed more direct. It was a beautiful route, although the climbing on Walnut Avenue was quite challenging for so early in the day. I suspect the biking directions would have been flatter, but I’m glad I took the route I did because I came upon the sculpture of two huge bicycles.


The TV crew that was shooting the bikes urged me to ride up to the Roanoke Star which would give me a panoramic view. When I told them I didn’t want to add three quarters of a mile to my climbing for the day, they offered to take me and my bike up in their van. I accepted and paused the recording of my ride.

What a view!

Disclaimer: I did not ride up to the Roanoke Star

I’m glad I abandoned my plan to ride the 80 from Peaks of Otter Lodge to Tuggles Gap in one day. The 55 miles from Roanoke to Tuggles Gap was plenty for one day, involving a longest climb of about seven miles and other shorter climbs making an average of 120 feet per mile.

The Tuggles Gap Restaurant & Motel are both charming, with delicious food in the restaurant and a comfortably firm (no, that’s not a song by Pink Floyd) bed in the motel. I wish there were more establishments like this along the parkway. There’s good wifi in the restaurant but little to none in the rooms.



My friends in Mt. Airy that were going to put me up tomorrow night will not be home, so instead of riding down the mountain tomorrow and back up the next day I will stay on the Parkway, spending a night camping at Fancy Gap Campground. The 35-mile ride will give me a sort of rest day.

Note to self: When descending at 30 mile per hour, it’s impossible to hear traffic approaching from the rear, so glance at the mirrors every few seconds. If you first become aware of a vehicle when it is alongside you, you are not checking your mirrors often enough.

The surface of Skyline Drive from Thornton Gap all the way south is perhaps the best on which I’ve ever ridden, perfectly smooth with no patches or debris (despite numerous signs warning of fallen or falling rocks). The surface of the Blue Ridge Parkway is good but not great. Most of it is uniformly rough, obviously paved this way intentionally. Might this be a less expensive method of paving, or is it to provide extra traction in the rain? I’m fatigued by the vibration it causes, and notice when there is an occasional smooth section that the roughness makes me work harder.

I’m pleased and surprised that I haven’t had any leg cramps since my test ride one week prior to my departure. Until dinner tonight, that is, when I had a strong cramp in the back of one thigh and then later in the back of the other.

Comments

  1. Great meeting John Link at The Gap Deli, Fancy Gap, NC just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and hearing all about his amazing journey he has begun. We have invited him to stop by our beautiful property right off the parkway about 17 miles further down on his route, and he is on his way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts