Rest Day - June 9th, 2019

It’s just after 8:00 in the morning and has been raining since about 10:00 last night. I realized this morning that with my extended stay at Montebello, I do not have enough contact lens cleaner for every night until I arrive at my next home stay, where Morene Bangel will have a 3-ounce bottle waiting for me. I will therefore use the cleaner every other night until I get to Weaverville. On alternate nights I will store my lenses in saline.

There’s more writing to be done today, including drafting of emails to my hosts between Weaverville and Atlanta to let them know of my delay.

* * *

I’m in my tent at 9:42 p.m. It’s raining and has been raining most of the day. I showered and shaved after drafting several email and Facebook messages to be sent when I have cellular service. As I was finishing my shave I met one of the seasonal campers (one who spends the entire season here every year). Terry told me that a strong cellular signal could be had on Spy Rock, about two miles from the camp store. This would involve a hike up a mountain on some rocky paths. He told me he had made the round trip in four hours and expected I would make it in less time. 

At the camp store I met a couple who had just attempted to hike to Spy Rock but failed to make it all the way because of being unsure about which way to go at several junctures. After getting the best directions I could from people working at the camp store, I set off on a mission to send the messages I had drafted. I gladly accepted a ride as far up the mountain as a car could go from the couple I had just met.

As Terry had told me I would, I got a decent signal before getting all the way to the top. With half a mile to go my phone received messages that had been sent to me over the last few days. I sent the messages I had prepared before setting out and then I continued on my journey. I turned around before reaching the top when the path changed from large gravel to angled wet slabs of rock. While still high enough to get a signal I received responses to messages I had sent to a few of my upcoming hosts.


Walking up the mountain required the exertion of climbing, while walking down the mountain required care that I not slip and fall or twist an ankle. I recalled that a few days ago a hiker told me most injuries happen on the way down. I was glad to find a pair of branches that were just the right length and thickness to be used as hiking sticks. You can see a record of my hike up to Spy Rock here: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35802055

My hiking sticks

When I returned to the camp store, having travelled a total of 5.3 miles (0.9 miles in the car to the parking lot, 3.3 miles to Spy Rock and back to the parking lot, and 1.1 miles back to the camp store), I met Jason and Gina who are hiking the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine and who started their journey three months ago. When I told them about my trip they were amazed that I would ride my bike 4000 miles. I said that I thought my trip was crazy but theirs was an order of magnitude crazier, as they’ve already been on the trail for the length of time in which I expect to finish my ride.

Before dinner tonight I had another shower while my clothes were in the washing machine. I was careful to not let the dryer damage my Lycra shirt and shorts. What a pleasure it is to have clean dry clothes, especially socks.

Fedex reports that my package has left Memphis and is on schedule to be delivered by 4:30, the service for which I paid. Unless I get lucky and it arrives in the morning delivery I will spend tomorrow night here and depart Tuesday morning.


My hike to Spy Rock

Comments

Popular Posts