Riding Day 13 - June 14th, 2019

Start: Floyd, VA
End: Fancy Gap, VA
Miles: 39.2
Feet climbing per mile: 95
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35962383

My bed at Tuggles Gap Motel was comfortable but I would have slept better had I turned on the electric heater, which I now have next to me as I write at 8:40 a.m. It’s sunny but in the mid-50s with strong winds. If it’s cold and windy tonight I might look into staying in a cabin at Fancy Gap Cabins & Campground rather than camping.

* * *

I’m writing this in the laundry room at Fancy Gap Cabins & Campground. What a beautiful well-maintained campground this is! I’m thinking about staying an extra day.


I planned this to be a sort of rest day. Because it was so cold this morning I decided to not practice intermittent fasting and instead had a big breakfast that included a three-egg cheese omelette with sautéed vegetables. About ten miles down the Parkway I came across the Mabry Mill Restaurant where I had a scoop of chocolate ice cream. What a treat that was!


At about 5:00 I arrived at the Gap Deli at the Parkway, which is 3.5 miles before Fancy Gap Cabins & Campground. It was too early to eat, and I didn’t want to have to make a 7-mile bike trip (with lots of climbing, of course) for dinner. I was told they had no delivery service, so I rode to the campground unsure of what I would do. On the way there I thought that maybe I could find someone to drive me to the deli where I would eat my dinner on its beautiful outdoor patio, knowing that I could walk to my campsite in less than two hours. When I checked in and told Charles and Jennifer Woodford, the owners, about my situation, Charles offered to drive me to the deli and to come get me after dinner. How about that!


Fancy Gap Cabins & Campgrounds is a beautiful place to camp. The bathhouse has private showers, and each tent site has its own water and and four electric outlets. Charles and Jennifer are generous hosts who run a first-class establishment.



Comments

Popular Posts