Riding Day 9 - June 6th, 2019

Start: Loft Mountain Campground
End: Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort
Miles: 62.2
Feet climbing per mile: 103
Record of today's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35641686

I’m writing this at my picnic table in my campsite at the Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort. This post will be published a few days from now because I’m off the grid. There’s no cell service and no wifi.

My campsite at Montebello

The air is still and slightly cool. I just changed my headlamp from white to red in hope that the bugs will leave me alone.

After four days of riding since my first rest day, three of those days in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I’m looking forward to a rest day tomorrow. I might have two rest days here because I discovered today the source of the clicking that has gotten worse and worse as a bring my right crank over the top: One of the chainwheel receptacles is broken. There is no bike shop near here from which I could buy the part (there’s no bike shop near here, period!). I’ll have the part delivered two days from now, either to here or to my next destinatiion. I think I’ll opt for the former because it’s annoying to feel and hear that click every pedaling cycle, and I don’t like the idea of putting up with it for another day. Besides, there’s a beautiful pond here in which I can swim. I’d also like to catch up on some blogging, although it won’t be published while I’m here.

The bugs seem to be bothering me less since I switched my headlamp to red.

I couldn’t find the restaurant where I had planned to buy my dinner before arriving at the campground, and the camp store closed twenty minutes before I arrived (see the record of my ride starting at mile 55 showing my going up and then down a hill and then up again as I looked for the restaurant which caused me to arrive too late for the camp store). The only food I had with me was one dark chocolate cherry cashew Kind bar. I told Larry, one of the camp hosts, of my plight, and he responded that the camp store would open tomorrow morning at 8:00. Later he brought a ham-and-cheese sandwich and some chips to my campsite. That was my dinner and the Kind bar was my dessert. Surprisingly, I’m rather satisfied with what I’ve eaten.



Comments

Popular Posts