Riding Day 16 - June 17th, 2019

Start: West Jefferson, NC
End: Blowing Rock, NC
Miles: 32.8
Feet climbing per mile: 112
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36112511

While yesterday’s short ride that finished before noon seemed to serve as a rest day or sorts, today’s short ride did not. By the end of the day, the seventh consecutive day since my previous rest day, I knew that it was time for a break. I will therefore spend two nights at Julian Price Campground.

My campsite at Julian Price Campground

Last night, in the Park Vista Inn, I was dreaming that I was sleeping with the fabric of my tent wrapped around me. I woke to realize that I was sweating profusely, soaking the cotton sheets. I wonder whether this is another paradoxical sign of dehydration, as I’ve come to learn is the swelling of my ankles which has returned as of this morning.

I took the suggestion of Anthony, manager of the Park Vista Inn, that I stop at Cascade Falls on my ride today. Just a few miles south of the Inn I found the Cascade Trail and walked my bike as far as I dared. I’m glad I did, although this added work to what was supposed to serve as a rest day.



There are many restaurants in Blowing Rock, the nearest town before my destination for the day, but I did not want to carry my dinner in either my belly or my bags the 4.5 miles with climbing of 100 feet per mile. I learned from someone I met that there were several services that delivered for many of the restaurants, and that the Mellow Mushroom, in sight of where I was, was one of those restaurants. The menu included the hamburger, salad, soup, and dessert (brownies!) I wanted, so I placed an order for delivery to my campsite by Boone Delivery. My food arrived hot and on time.


I was too tired to write after dinner so I went to bed at 9:30 and wrote all of the above the next morning as if I were writing it last night.

Comments

Popular Posts