Riding Day 21 - June 24th, 2019

Start: Clayton, GA
End: Don Carter State Park
Miles: 62.6
Feet climbing per mile: 74
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36382662

My route from Clayton to Don Carter State Park took me past the road on which Bob Pittman, with whom I had dinner last night, lives. Bob and Anita were away, but Bob invited me to visit their home and enjoy the view. The climb to their home was even steeper than I had expected. I rode what I could and walked the rest, going too far, all the way to the peak, in what was by far the toughest one-mile ascent I’ve ever made. No wonder Bob had offered to drive me up the hill when we thought I would spend a night in his home!


Here’s the video I took from Bob’s porch:


Several times during the day I rerouted in order to avoid traffic. Sometimes that worked, but sometimes the only way to get from where I am to where I need to go requires riding on roads I’d rather never ride.

The afternoon sun and high temperature added to the difficulty of the day. On hot days I’m going to need to start earlier to avoid the worst heat of the day, and maybe take a break of an hour or more during the middle of the day.

The Mexican restaurant Senor Fiesta #1 was even better than I had expected based on their website. After dinner, with my belly full, I rode the five miles to Don Carter State Park. I discovered that in such a state riding while seated is tolerable, but the muscular action of my torso while riding out of the saddle puts an uncomfortable pressure on my stomach and its contents.

The entrance to Don Carter State Park is the most elegant I’ve ever seen at a campground. On the other hand, I discovered that there are no showers, and the restroom closest to the primitive tent sites is a half mile away. The tent sites are all walk-in, meaning that one reaches each of them by an unrideable trail. I probably could have taken an RV site close to the restroom.

There was light rain as I set up my tent but I managed to keep the rain out of the tent by modifying the setup procedure. I’m the only camper in a tent site and I haven’t seen any signs of human life, although I did encounter deer on my walk to the restroom. In defiance of the wilderness I washed in the sink as well as I could and then shaved.

Finding the restroom in the dark was challenging. To be sure I could find my way back to my tent I recorded my walk to and from the restroom. Click here to see a record of my walk.

The entrance to my site as it appeared when returning from the restroom

Tomorrow I head towards Atlanta (actually Marietta), where I’ll spend a few days with my brother Tim and his wife Sonja. Chris Barker, a classmate from graduate school, and his fiancée Kara, will join us for dinner. Craig and Barbara Burley, friends who have recently moved from Manhattan to Winder, GA, will meet me along the way. According to google biking directions I’ll ride 73 miles with just 34 feet per mile of climbing.

Comments

Popular Posts