Riding Day 10 - June 11th, 2019

Start: Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort
End: Peaks of Otter Lodge
Miles: 63.9
Feet climbing per mile: 99
Record of today's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35852397

For the first time in several days I woke up to a blue sky. The night had been cold but the intense rain lasted only a short time and then it stopped altogether. The ride was filled with long slow climbs (as much as 12 miles) and long fast descents (as much as 5 miles).

The swelling near my ankles had no effect on my riding, diminished substantially by halfway through the ride, and was gone by the time I arrived at Peaks of Otter Lodge, where I'm spending the night. Jaye, whom I met at Montebello, thought the swelling came from my hike to and from Spy Rock, especially the descent. I wonder whether that’s true. In any case I’m glad the swelling is gone and that it did not affect my riding.



Despite having replaced the broken cleat bolt receptacle, I was still sometimes experiencing clicking as I pedaled. I wonder whether my pedals might be the culprit. And my first shift from the large chainring to the small, while in the parking lot of the camp store, resulted in a chain jam. So there’s still something not quite right. Throughout the day I was careful to shift to the small chainring with the chain not under much tension, and I had no jams after leaving the parking lot.



I’ve noticed after a rest, whether it be at the side of the road, in a cafe, or on a long descent, that I feel no better, and maybe worse, then at the beginning of the rest. My high school football coaches used to say (i.e., yell) “Walk it off!” after an intense workout. They never told us to sit or lie down to rest. So yesterday I walked as I ate a fudgesicle, I walked (up the mountain) when I needed to rest on the 12-mile climb, and I kept my legs pedaling easily, sometimes backwards, during long descents. In all cases I seemed to have recovered during my rests. Whether or not my high school coaches understood the physiology of recovery, they seemed to know what to do.

After camping for five rainy nights I am glad to sleep in a bed.

Comments

Popular Posts