Riding Day 6 - June 3rd, 2019

Start: Alexandria, VA
End: Flint Hill, VA
Miles: 71.2
Feet climbing per mile: 78
Record of today's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35527041

Besides changing my chain yesterday I also taped my handlebar, a task I had hoped to do before my departure May 28th. I did a great tape job, and more quickly than previously. What a pleasure it is to ride with new bar tape!



About five miles into my ride I stopped at the home of David Nebhut, one of my classmates from graduate school. It was good to see David after so many years, and David found a nearby drugstore where I bought a 3-ounce bottle of contact-lens cleaner. A few weeks before I left on my journey David advised me to ride from Flint Hill (where I'm staying tonight) to Skyland Lodge on Skyline Drive rather than to a motel in the town of Luray, thereby avoiding going down the mountain into Luray and back up the mountain the next day.

Both the front and rear derailleurs shifted smoothly today, so I assume that the chain that had been jamming was somehow damaged.

The guest house where I'm spending the night

I'm spending the night in Flint Hill in the guest house of my friend Bill Harris and his wife Stella. I met Bill, an amazing jazz pianist, in a jazz club in Washington, DC, in the early 90s, and hadn’t seen him for a few decades. It was great to reconnect with him and meet Stella and enjoy the delicious and abundant dinner they prepared.

Comments

Popular Posts