Riding Day 48 - July 31st, 2019

Start: Stevens Point, WI
End: Waupaca, WI
Miles: 34.7
Feet climbing per mile: 29
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37994187

The day began with Peggy and me going for a walk through the park near the Wisconsin River and then through downtown. A highlight of our walk was sampling vinegars at Diversi-Tea. My favorite was flavored with fig and Peggy’s was flavored with ginger and another ingredient. Peggy bought a bottle of each. We met Tom at their home for lunch that included a salad made with the fig-flavored vinegar. At 1:00, Tom rode with me to guide me out of town. I was going to take highway 54 but decided I didn’t want to deal with traffic so rerouted with Google Maps biking directions. The road surfaces were generally excellent, the traffic light, and the scenery beautiful.

Arriving in Waupaca, I made a stop at Brainerd Bridge Park to cool my feet and then rode to Mo’s Stand to enjoy some ice cream before arriving at the home of Todd and Suzanne Meerdink.


Todd and I belong to the Facebook group Bicycling Across the United States. When Todd read a post about my journey and saw that I was planning to ride near his home, he invited me to stay with him and I accepted.

With Suzanne and Todd

Todd and Suzanne served a delicious meal of grilled chicken, vegetables, and salad, which was complemented by apple pie and berry pie delivered by Suzanne’s parents. After dinner, Tom created a route for me from here to Beaver Dam, my next destination. It’s good to be able to take advantage of the knowledge of cyclists who know the area.

Andy Kowalczyk says they’re sand hill cranes

Comments

Popular Posts