Riding Day 52 - August 5th, 2019

Start: Zion, WI
End: Chicago, IL
Miles: 59.2
Feet climbing per mile: 35
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/38218522

What a full day I had today! I woke at 6:00, headed to the beach, and was in the lake by 6:30. The water temperature was cool, perfect for swimming, and nobody else was on the beach.



After my swim I communicated with classmates from grade school about our dinner Wednesday night. It took me longer than usual to pack up, probably because I’m out of practice due to not having camped for two weeks. I started riding shortly before 10:00.

My campsite at Illinois Beach State Park

After seeing many windmills clustered together in both Illinois and Iowa, I was surprised to see what appeared to be a lone windmill in North Chicago, shown in the video below.


When I did my graduate work at Northwestern University I shared an apartment with Mike Macewich from 1976 to 1981. Recently Mike asked me to stop by our apartment. I recalled our address to be 2762 Hampton Court and Mike recalled Isabella Street. It turns out we lived at 2762 Hampton Parkway which is just south of Isabella Street. The Baháʼí temple is a few blocks north of where we lived.



I don’t understand why The Rock at Northwestern University is not much larger than it is, given that it has been repeatedly painted. Is someone also removing paint?



The Chicago lakefront is more beautiful than ever, with separate paved trails for pedestrians and cyclists.

Downtown Chicago seen from Montrose Harbor

What’s the point of having a waterfall if it’s forbidden to go under it? No, I did not succumb to the temptation.


I’m spending the night on the south side at the home of Larry and Carole Krucoff (Lori’s cousin). After we ate the delicious dinner Larry prepared we were joined for dessert by Rachel Krucoff (Larry and Carole’s daughter) and Ira Abrams (Rachel’s husband). After our discussion about safety while biking, Ira made suggestions about routes through the city to get me to each of my daily destinations while I’m in Chicago.

I’ve now been on the road for exactly ten weeks.

Comments

Popular Posts