Riding Day 56 - August 9th, 2019

Start: Chicago, IL
End: North Liberty, IN
Miles: 102.5
Feet climbing per mile: 22
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51601390

Today's adventure began just as I was finishing my packing. I put the mesh bag containing my toiletries into the zippered pouch on the outside of the rear bag, pulled the zipper closed, and the slider came off the teeth. I was able to partially put the slider back on but I was unable to move it to separate the teeth. I knew that I would be able to separate the teeth by pulling them apart, but once I did that I knew I could not get the zipper to function. So until I replace the zipper (after I return home), I will close the pouch with several safety pins Carole Krucoff gave me.

I was expecting today’s route to be straight, flat, and boring. Was I ever wrong! The first 34 miles were mostly the sort of trails that allow one to see the areas through which one is riding, with the scenery constantly changing, making for a most interesting ride. After the first 34 miles there were long sections of straight road that I found entirely enjoyable. The surfaces were good to excellent, the traffic was light, and the scenery had just enough variation. I also enjoyed riding in the country again where it was safe to take the lane rather than in the city on streets too narrow for a bike in addition to moving and parked cars.


Yesterday in Logan Square I had a conversation with another cyclist, Joe, who told me that when he competed in a triathlon he focused on his nutrition and made sure to eat something before he was feeling sluggish. I did the same thing today and I think it helped me to stay fresh throughout the entire ride.

When I arrived at the registration booth for Potato Creek State Park I saw a sign that said “Campground Full”. I did not panic because I had considered this possibility before I departed on my journey and had thought of several possible actions. The person at the registration section, Bev, first found me a site in the family campground, but when she told me it was three or four miles to get to it I asked whether there was anything closer (beggars can be choosers). She then got authorization for me to camp in the horsemen’s section, where people camp with their horses. I had not known there was such a thing. I was expecting the horses to continue neighing through the night, which I would have enjoyed, but it’s now 10:30 and they’re all quiet.



A few days ago I had found in North Liberty the Happy Cafe, a restaurant several miles closer to the campground than the restaurant I had previously found. Dinner required an 11-mile round trip, bringing the total mileage for today to over 100 miles.

There’s a planet in the sky close to the moon which some friends on Facebook say is Jupiter and others say is Venus.

Jupiter or Venus?

Having ridden more than 100 miles I would expect to be tired, but I’m wide awake and energized.

“That two-wheeled thing doesn’t look like a horse.”


Comments

Popular Posts