Riding Day 59 - August 12th, 2019

Start: Portage, OH
End: Wellington, OH
Miles: 97.1
Feet climbing per mile: 22
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51608556

The rain was on and off throughout my ride today. I sometimes wore my windbreaker to stay warm, but didn’t mind at all getting wet. The rain and cloudiness change the appearance of the scenery in a way I find interesting.


This morning I noticed that the repair of a seam of my rear bag had come undone. Rather than sewing it again, I used a large safety pin Bonnie Anderson gave me to make a temporary repair.


I have now lost four items on this trip. The first was a 1.75-ounce bottle of Aquaphor I left in a motel in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the second was a USB adapter I left in the home of Dave and Connie Nadolski, the third was a small bungee cord I’d been using in place of a part for my tent that I lost before I departed on this trip, and the fourth was another such bungee cord. Dave and Connie replaced the Aquaphor when we met on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I replaced the USB adaptor with the help of Amazon Prime. I haven’t found another bungee cord but I think a reusable zip tie (which I have) might work in its place.

The perfect place for a natural break

After looking at several restaurants in Wellington, I had dinner at Fort's Old Town Tavern, but I think I would have been more satisfied at the Dairy Queen.

I’m sitting at my picnic table at Findley State Park, listening to the cicadas, or whatever creatures are chirping. It’s 72 and cloudy with rain forecast from 3:00 this morning until 1:00 tomorrow afternoon. If I pack up in the rain it will be the first time on this trip.

My campsite at Findley State Park

In the last four days I’ve averaged about 95 miles per day. I’m amazed, and pleased, that I’m not exhausted. Tomorrow I’ll ride nearly 100 miles including the ride to and from where I’ll eat dinner.

I’ve now been on the road for exactly eleven weeks, during which time I have ridden about 3700 miles. By the time I arrive home I expect the total to be more than 4500.

Comments

Popular Posts