Riding Day 51 - August 4th, 2019

Start: Milwaukee, WI
End: Zion, IL
Miles: 55.9
Feet climbing per mile: 23
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/38185709

I spent the morning and the early afternoon visiting with my mother, solving a few problems in her home, and giving her a Feldenkrais lesson that will help her walk more comfortably (provided she practices what she learned). I also decided where I would spend each of my four nights in Chicago and when I would visit whom. I’m glad to have all that settled.


I left my mom’s place shortly before 1:00 and immediately made several wrong turns. The fortunate result of my mistakes was that I came across a lemonade stand in Franklin, WI. I bought two glasses of the pink lemonade, perfect as it was not too sweet.


After 19 miles I was on the route I had planned, glad to be off the concrete streets of Milwaukee. A few miles before I got to Kenosha I decided to depart from my planned route and follow a route closer to the lake. If I hadn't I would have missed seeing the large ships docked in the harbor.


Google Maps announced “Welcome to Illinois!” as I came to the start of a gravel road. Fortunately it was only a short stretch of gravel, followed by a paved parking lot and then a trail of fine gravel well packed. I continued to look for a way to ride as close to the lake as possible, adding extra distance to my ride.

“Welcome to Illinois!”

Tonight I’m staying at Illinois Beach State Park in Zion, IL. Mike Macewich and I rode our bikes here from Chicago in the summer of 1972. It was raining and we arrived late so we couldn’t find a campsite. We spent the night sleeping in a very clean restroom after we each drank a bottle of Boone’s Farm. Those were the days!

By the time I had set up my campsite it was 7:00, with about an hour to sunset. I almost forwent (I love using that word) my shower until after dinner but decided to follow my usual practice, including shaving, even though I knew I would be riding back from Culver’s, a mile and a half away, in the dark.

Today is the first day I’ve been camping since I arrived in Winona, MN, July 22nd, exactly two long weeks ago. I enjoy the ease of a home stay and I have loved spending time with family and friends, including some friends I haven’t seen for 30 or 40 years, but home stays take me away from the adventure and challenge of this journey. Perhaps I will plan my next long trip so that I don't know anyone along the route and spend most of my nights camping.


A woman I met today said that Lake Michigan was very cold, but after dinner when I found a path to the beach and walked barefoot along the edge of the shore, the water felt cool but not cold. I look forward to a swim tomorrow morning.

Comments

Popular Posts