Riding Day 70 - August 24th, 2019

Start: Newton, NJ
End: Highland Falls, NY
Miles: 74.2
Feet climbing per mile: 72
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/39033399

I was expecting today’s ride to be 58 miles with 58 feet per mile of climbing, and to last about six hours. Due to rerouting in order to avoid heavy traffic as well as Google Maps biking directions putting me on dead-end trails or directing me onto roads that don’t exist, the ride was 74 miles with 72 feet of climbing per mile, lasting nine hours.


Highlights of today’s ride included a large chocolate ice cream cone at Bellvale Farms Creamery, where I stopped on a trip last fall. The last time I was riding on highway 293, on a ride last summer, I was singing the song Woyaya because I had intended to ride southeast on highway 6 but was forced to ride northeast on 293. Today I was happy to do most of my riding in the dark on 293 with its wide shoulder and light traffic.

I arrived at my airbnb at about 8:00. My host, Oshin, and her husband Isaac, are wonderful, thoughtful people. I feel very comfortable here. I understand that I am their first airbnb guest.

After a shower and shave I walked to Hacienda, the same restaurant at which I ate three years ago on my first multi-day trip in more than 40 years.

I’m looking forward to arriving home tomorrow and bringing this journey to an end. I will have ridden more than 4,500 miles in 90 days. I hope the adventure gods understand that, just as the final day of the Tour de France is a procession into Paris, the final ride of my journey can be a procession into New York.

Comments

Popular Posts