Riding Day 60 - August 13th, 2019

Start: Wellington, OH
End: Salem, OH
Miles: 87.6
Feet climbing per mile: 44
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/38560047

It was raining when I woke this morning at about 7:30. The Dark Sky weather app said the rain would stop at 9:00, so I stayed in my tent until then and did all the packing I could, including emptying, folding, and rolling my air mattress. I finally got on the road at 11:00.

After about an hour of riding I started to wonder whether I would be able to make it to the next campground 91 miles away and complete the 18-mile round trip for dinner, all by shortly after sunset. I was riding at a decent pace, but I didn’t feel all that strong, perhaps due to the lengths of the rides on the previous few days, perhaps because of the high humidity. Eventually I planned to stay at one of the hotels in Salem rather than following my original plan.

Being in the final week and a half of the trip it is easy to think that the adventure is over. But the need to change my destination for today, as well as the need to reroute around several road closings, shows that it is not.

I needed to reroute

I was able to walk through this one

Throughout Indiana and Ohio I have seen many homes that have a pond, often with rocks carefully placed around the perimeter, and sometimes with a pier. But I’ve never seen anyone swimming in one of these ponds or even sitting nearby. If I had a pond like that I would swim in it every day it was warm enough to do so.



I’m glad to be staying in this Holiday Inn Express. Unlike most hotels with an indoor pool, the water in this one is cool rather than warm, and the air is comfortable rather than extremely humid. The bed is firm, the water pressure in the bathroom is more than sufficient, and the shower head delivers a generous spray. Sam(antha) and Andrew at the front desk were helpful in finding a restaurant, Jalisco's, within easy walking distance.

Comments

  1. Keep going John, almost home. You havent missed much here in Chelsea. Can't wait to hear all the stories about your trip. Be safe. JJ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts