Riding Day 68 - August 22nd, 2019

Start: Harrisburg, PA
End: Lehighton, PA
Miles: 84.3
Feet climbing per mile: 50
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/38936375

Today was another day riding the rolling hills of Pennsylvania. The biggest challenge was not the climbing, but rather dealing with heavy traffic for several miles on a four-lane divided road. Other than that section, today’s route was beautiful, with mostly lightly traveled roads with excellent surfaces. There were also some sections of trail, some paved and some of crushed limestone. To enter the trail I walked my bike on the Appalachian Trail for about 50 feet. This was my second time on the Appalachian Trail, the first being when I climbed up to it on foot when I was at Montebello, VA, in June.


Instead of spending the night at Laurel Lake Campsites, which has no swimming, I decided to ride an additional seven miles to Lizard Creek Campground which has a swimming pool of substantial size. My swim after setting up my tent was such a wonderful treat. I had the pool entirely to myself.


For dinner I walked a little more than a mile to the Lizard Creek Pub. From their website I knew they were open until 11:00, so I was shocked when Nicole, the bartender, told me the kitchen was closed at about 9:00. After I told Nicole about my journey and explained my need for a substantial dinner, she prepared me an enormous salad and prevailed upon the cook to make me 20 chicken wings. For dessert I had a piece of carrot cake. Thank you, Nicole, for making dinner happen! Without it tomorrow would have a been a tough day.

Comments

Popular Posts