Riding Day 61 - August 14th, 2019

Start: Salem, OH
End: Pittsburgh, PA
Miles: 83.8
Feet climbing per mile: 54
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/38594463

I started the day with a swim in the hotel pool. Like yesterday, I had the entire pool to myself.

The climbing began as soon as I left the hotel. I considered this reintroduction of climbing to be the start of my preparation for what is to come in Pennsylvania, especially an 85-mile day with 105 feet of climbing per mile. But the real adventure began with the discovery of the closure of the Fleming Park Bridge, which required a lot of backtracking, turning what was to be a 69-mile day into an 84-mile day. I didn’t see any notice of the closure until I was close to the bridge, whereas a notice of the closing would have been helpful five miles before that, at the entrance to Coraopolis Bridge that led to Neville Island.



The route I chose after being denied use of the Fleming Park Bridge involved substantial traffic, including on some curvy hills. Usually I find that roads parallel to, and near, a river are relatively flat, but not in Pittsburgh. So the day ended with a lot of climbing.

My hosts for tonight and tomorrow are Beth Corning and her husband Marc Nieson. Beth offered to host me after Holly Cavrell told her I would be riding through town. I enjoyed getting to know Beth and Marc while eating the delicious dinner Beth made.

Marc Nieson and Beth Corning

I look forward to spending a rest day here tomorrow, the first true rest day (i.e., with a night in the same place as the night before) I’ve had since I was in Chetek July 24-28.

Comments

  1. Three weeks of steady travel... How about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What three weeks do you have in mind? The entire trip was three months. Is that what you meant?

      Delete
    2. Now I see! you were referring to the interval from July 28th to August 14th.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts