Riding Day 67 - August 21st, 2019

Start: McConnelsburgh, PA
End: Harrisburg, PA
Miles: 83.3
Feet climbing per mile: 54
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/38896351

Having slept without the rain fly because of the warm weather, I awoke this morning at 6:30 and headed to the beach where I had only one swimming companion, a duck, who seemed unafraid of me.



The hills of Pennsylvania again had that rolling quality that makes climbing here so much easier than in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The longest climb I had was between a mile and a mile and a half.

A surprise treat for today was a 10-minute concert played on bells at the Zion United Church of Christ in Blain, PA. I tried to enter the church to find out whether the music was played by a person or some sort of program, but all the doors were locked.


The biggest challenge of the day was not the climbing but the heavy traffic on 944. Everyone was doing much more than the speed limit of 45 and many seemed to be driving with an attitude I considered unsafe.

My host for tonight is Bill Head, whom I met in the Facebook bicycling group Cycling Past Fifty. Last December Bill offered to put me up for a night when he read about my plans and that I would be traveling near Harrisburg. We had loads of conversation about biking over the steak dinner Bill prepared. Bill gave me some valuable suggestions about routes for my next days and I’ve made the appropriate changes.

Bill Head

Comments

Popular Posts