Riding Day 66 - August 20th, 2019

Start: Bedford, PA
End: McConnelsburgh, PA
Miles: 52.2
Feet climbing per mile: 97
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/38896343

The Climber (apologies to Don Schlitz)

You’ve got to know when to stand up
Know when to sit down
Know when to walk the hill
Know when to coast
You never count your miles
When you’re sittin’ in the saddle
There’ll be time enough for countin’
When the climin’s done

So today, not yesterday, was the day with the most challenging climbing since the Blue Ridge Mountains. Unlike the Blue Ridge Mountains, with its climbs measured in miles, the hills in Pennsylvania have climbs that are often a quarter mile or less. The route profile has a sort of fractal quality in that what appears to be a long climb or descent when zoomed out, when zoomed in shows many shorter climbs and descents within the apparent long climb or descent. And each of the shorter climbs or descents when zoomed in further again shows many every shorter climbs and descents. Climbing in Pennsylvania is like riding a roller coaster. What’s required to make good time is not so much strength as it is strategic shifting. I was surprised how easy the ride was today despite there being almost 100 feet of climbing per mile. I think I was helped today by some things I learned yesterday when I was riding back to Fat Jimmy’s so as to not stress my rear tire.


Today I experienced my most frightening buzz pass ever. While I was out of the saddle climbing in my lowest gear, suddenly a car was wizzing past me much too close. I did not display any emotional maturity but instead screamed at the driver all sorts of things I don’t remember, except for “FUCK YOU!”. After the car was out of sight I realized that I must have not been taking the lane. If I had been, the car could not have squeezed between me and the oncoming cars. Also, just before the buzz pass happened I had been thinking about something (I don’t remember what it was) and not paying sufficient attention to my immediate surroundings. I certainly hadn’t been checking my mirrors frequently or I would have seen the car approaching.

Besides the challenge of the climbing, today I also had the challenge of how to get my dinner. The closest restaurant to my campsite, The New Fort Restaurant, is about 13 miles away. I was not interested in a round trip of 26 miles with substantial climbing in both directions. After telling Norm, one of the owners, about my 4000-mile trip, I explained my situation regarding dinner. Eventually Norm generously offered to deliver my food to my campsite. Thank you, Norm!

I’m spending the night at Cowans Gap State Park. When I saw my site I wondered whether I would be able to drive any stakes into the rocky… I was going to write “rocky soil” but there’s no soil. It’s just rocks, which I presume to be limestone. Somehow I managed to drive the six stakes needed to properly set up my tent.

My campsite at Cowans Gap State Park

Before dinner I had a leisurely swim at the beach a half mile away. A swim tomorrow morning, probably without another person in sight, would be luxurious. It’s a warm night so I’ll probably leave open the vestibule which I have facing east. If I wake early enough I will have my swim before starting my ride of 82 miles with just 52 feet per mile of climbing.


It's not 9:15 and I'm writing this while sitting at my picnic table. There’s no wind. I’m surrounded by trees which block much of my view of the sky. What I can see of the sky is clear and full of stars. I’m not aware of any moonlight, which surprises me given that we recently had a full moon. I’m probably showing my ignorance of the movement of celestial bodies. As I look around me everything is dark except for the lights from the nearby shower house and two other small lights I don’t recognize.



The publication of this post was delayed due to lack of cellular service in the park.


Comments

Popular Posts