Riding Day 57 - August 10th, 2019

Start: North Liberty, IN
End: Garrett, IN
Miles: 89.9
Feet climbing per mile: 30
Records of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51603605

Despite stopping to take only one picture today, I found the scenery sufficiently varied to make for an enjoyable ride.


Early in the day, in response to a dog starting to run to chase me, I yelled “Stay”, and the dog immediately stopped, despite my rising inflection which revealed my panic. My intention is to use a falling inflection to convey authority and to conceal my panic.

I think I’m getting better at not becoming angry when a driver makes a mistake that could put me in danger. As I pulled up to an intersection with stop signs for all directions, a car was doing the same thing moving from my right to left on the cross street. I got to the intersection ahead of the car and so started to cross. As I did so the car made a right turn, moving towards me as it did. As I moved away from the car I yelled “Wake up!”, to which the driver of the car responded “I said ‘Sorry’, bitch!”. I just laughed.

In the middle of the day I had the idea to fill one of my water bottles with Mountain Dew so that I could sip it as I rode. This didn’t work well, because the carbonation and heat caused a little spray every time I opened the nipple of the bottle, which resulted in the bottle and my right hand becoming sticky.

My campsite at Indian Springs Campground

Indian Springs Campground has small campsites occupied mostly by campers, many of them with all sorts of lights. How are we supposed to see the Perseid meteor shower with all this light pollution? On the other hand, there’s a small beautiful pond in which I swam before riding to dinner and in which I will swim in the morning. And maybe I can find somewhere in the campground where it’s relatively dark.


After riding 100 miles yesterday I would expect to have been tired but wasn’t, and having ridden 90 miles today I would expect to be tired but I’m not.

Comments

Popular Posts